This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

My closest friend Toph and I went on a friend date on Friday. It was sort of an early birthday celebration— really early, because I don’t turn 20 until January— but since Toph is going home during my birth month, we decided to dub it as such. That day was probably the best I’ve had in recent memory, and so I couldn’t help but update my Snapchat and Instagram stories every time we arrived at a new destination to show off its greatness.

In one of the captions, I hashtagged #FRIENDSHIP in big letters across the screen. My friend, Juniper, sent me a private message shortly after that read:

“Lexi! I can’t believe you friend-zoned him like that!”

I laughed and showed Toph, but that’s when I started thinking about the friend zone and what it meant.

Girl with closed eyes and praying hands
Photo by Ben White from Unsplash
I could go into detail about how I think that it’s silly that men are “owed” a relationship simply because they were nice to a girl, but it’s been done before and I’m a unique and edgy teen, so I won’t. I’d rather use the friend zone as a gateway to analyze how my friendship with Toph has been seen.

Lately, people have been romanticizing us. Until now, I haven’t given it much thought, but upon some reflection, I’ve realized how common it’s become.

I never told him this, but it happened at an alumni networking mixer I went to a couple of months ago too. We were split off into groups of five to six— a mix of alumni and students—and then handed a list of conversation starters. One of the questions asked about the friendships we were forming at school, and I couldn’t help but mention Toph. 

I went on about the positive impact he’s had on my life. That’s when one of the alumni commented, “We have a future wife over here!”

Everyone at the table laughed.

I smiled, but, for some reason that I couldn’t understand at the time, I felt a little uncomfortable. Soon after, I realized that it was because I had to confront some awkward questions in my head. Although I hadn’t viewed Toph romantically, I started thinking, Should I?

Toph was attractive, smart, talented, and funny. He and I got along well, and we had similar interests and world views— he was the kind of boy who would make a great partner. Everyone from my friends to random alumni would talk about the fantastic couple we’d make. Every time Juniper brought it up, she would sound disappointed that I’d boxed Toph and me into a friend zone that didn’t fulfill the romantic fantasies she’d created of us together.

ABC | Grey\'s Anatomy
I have a big disclaimer. To everyone’s dismay, I’m perfectly comfortable keeping Toph and my relationship platonic. Those thoughts have only been popping up in my head because everyone around me is convinced that a boy and a girl can’t just be friends. Maybe, just maybe, that’s not the case here. After all, I’ve never so quickly clicked with someone as I had with him.

Because of how much I value our bond, I’ll push those silly questions I’ve been asking myself aside. I don’t need to look at him differently because everyone insists I should.

Next time we hang out, I won’t think twice about the disappointed Junipers and curious alumni, because man am I lucky to have a friend like Toph.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!​

Alexia is an NYC native who likes to wind down by watching fashion video essays, film reviews, and political commentators debate.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.