scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
Shondaland / Netflix

What’s With Our Modern Obsession With Period Dramas?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Ever since Netflix released the first sneak peeks of Season 3 of Bridgerton, my feed has been flooded with clips featuring Penelope Featherington and Colin Bridgerton, the leading characters of the upcoming season. Like any other Bridgerton fan, I’m obsessed. 

From Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice to CW Productions’ Reign, it’s clear that many viewers latch onto this genre to escape from reality with these romanticizations of history. But who can blame them when we have school, work, and numerous other stressors in our modern society? We all need a break sometimes, and with the glamorous dresses, thrilling romances, and exciting drama, it’s no wonder why these historical movies and television shows are so enticing to such a large audience. 

I’ve always loved historical romances, but many new fans were drawn into this genre with the release of Bridgerton in 2020. While the stresses of the pandemic definitely contributed to the audience’s desire for escapism, that wasn’t the only reason for the show’s popularity. 

In addition to its captivating storylines, Bridgerton adds an extra layer of relatability to the show with its focus on framing the British Regency era in a more modern sense, which separates it from some of its predecessors within the genre. 

While I love that the show has a modern twist on your typical period drama show, at times I feel like they tend to overdo this aspect. An example of this is the show’s music choices as Bridgerton tends to incorporate modern pop songs into the ball scenes. Although the show attempts to fit the songs into the Regency-era setting by using a classical version, I think that including these modern songs just doesn’t fit the historical setting. 

I prefer the way that adaptations of Jane Austen’s classics such as Emma (2020) and Pride and Prejudice (2005) bring in more subtle modern influences while staying true to the narratives and settings of the originals. For me, what really makes these movies work is the timeless nature of the tales, with ideas and storylines that many audiences can still relate to in 2024. 

Despite this criticism of Bridgerton, I don’t watch it for its historical accuracy. I still absolutely love the show for the drama that comes with the gripping romances and the opulent costumes and set designs!

I will Now impatiently wait for May 16 when the first half of Season 3 will be released.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Deanna Soukhaseum is a weekly writer for the Her Campus at BU chapter and a sophomore studying Business Administration at Boston University. She enjoys writing about a range of topics, including fashion, entertainment, etc. Outside of Her Campus, Deanna is also a features writer for the Daily Free Press and a writer for the wellness section at the BU Buzz. Additionally, she is part of the Finance and Investment Club where she is a junior analyst. In her free time, Deanna enjoys reading and exploring the city of Boston. She is passionate about music and loves to watch movies of any kind, ranging from horror to rom-coms.