This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Since middle school, I’ve had an everything bag. This bag has not only been my savior in many situations but it’s also a fun thing to curate to my specific needs. I’ve always happily been the “mom” of my friend groups and love to be able to provide what a friend might need!

If you don’t already know, an everything bag contains the essentials for any situation you could face daily. I’m sure you’ve seen them on Pinterest or TikTok, sometimes called “emergency kits” or “hot girl essentials.” Basically, an everything bag contains the everyday essentials that you could need at any given moment. Here is my guide to creating the base of your essentials bag and some suggestions to customize it just for you!

Step One: gather the basics

If you don’t already have an everything bag of your own, you probably have something similar or at least keep your needed items in a purse or backpack. I prefer an everything bag because it consolidates all my essentials in one place. It’s completely unnecessary to buy a bunch of new things for your essentials bag, and chances are you already have almost everything you need.

Take stock of your daily items situation and peruse Pinterest for inspiration if you want to add more. I tend to be more on the maximalist side, but I’ll share the basics of my extensive everything pouch for some extra inspiration. My basics include hand sanitizer, tissues, hair ties, a pack of gum, Ibuprofen, bandaids, a pen, a disinfecting wipes pack, mini deodorant, lip balm, period products, a mini lint brush, a Tide pen, and hand lotion. Make sure to check out Sol De Janiero’s Delicia Drench Body Butter in the new scent “Cheirosa 59” for your lotion needs. Trust me, people will be complimenting you left and right!

purse flatlay
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

step two: finding the perfect bag

With most of your items gathered, it’s time to find the perfect container for them! Make sure you pick out a bag or pouch that is durable, cute (obviously), and big enough to fit all of your basics with a little bit of room to spare. If you do not already have the perfect bag to give your items a home, T.J. Maxx or Amazon has got you covered.

Currently, I have a medium-sized, durable, and adorable pouch that fits all my items with some room to shuffle. It’s an “Org Bag” from the brand Baboon To The Moon and it’s only $29. If this isn’t up your alley, maybe think about a clear or semi-clear sturdy zip-up pouch that is easily cleanable. You never know what your bag will go through, and I’ve found it convenient to be able to clean my bags.

step 3: customize

Now it’s time for the fun part: start thinking about the items that aren’t necessary but definitely nice to have. Pinterest will be helpful for this step, too! My extra items include a mini concealer, claw clips, perfume, a mini hairbrush, a portable charger, protein bars, a screen cleaner, and my favorite lip products! Maybe you prefer body spray and your favorite blush, or perhaps some pimple patches and travel-size sunscreen? Put whatever extras you find yourself wishing you had on a day-to-day basis and the things that bring you joy.

Enjoy being the most prepared baddie in the room, and make sure to help a girl out when she’s in a pinch!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Kate Rekas is a freshman on the writing team at the Her Campus Boston University Chapter. She was a writer and editor on her high school's newspaper "The Spectrum." She also is a member of the multimedia team on "The Daily Free Press," Boston University's independent and student run newspaper. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Kate is a member of the Boston University Figure Skating Team, and is still exploring different majors to pursue. When not studying or skating, Kate is exploring the city of Boston, and seeking out as many sunset watching opportunities as possible!