What Your Favorite Drink Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

From the moment you turn 21 (or maybe even before then) and start bar-hopping or clubbing, you realize that most bartenders don’t really want to watch you look confused while trying to navigate the endless drink options most places offer. Therefore, it is imperative that you develop a “go-to drink”. After some trial-and-error, you realize what drink works best for your tastes. Your beverage choice can even speak to your personality. In honor of the recent passing of spring break, here’s my take on what your favorite drink says about you. May your weekend be filled with good friends and even better drinks.

Beer

You’re one of the guys and you’re proud of it. Always up for anything; people tend to gravitate towards your low-maintenance, effervescent personality. You are the queen of beer pong and Converse is your go-to brand of shoe because comfort is a must for you. While most girls like to spend their spring break tanning and playing by the pool, you are the one girl playing soccer on the beach with the guys. This doesn’t mean you don’t have a girly side; you definitely have that RiRi Woo M.A.C lipstick in your repertoire on nights you feel like going into glam mode. However, most of the time you would much rather be comfortable and that’s totally okay. People fall in love instantly with your carefree, energetic, and up-for-anything mentality which makes you a hit with anyone you meet. 

Margarita

Fun and flirty; sassy and sexy. Friday nights belong to you. You’re the friend that is always organizing fun stuff to do; whether it’s brunch at Stephanie’s on Sunday or a ski trip to New Hampshire. You are the go-to gal for a good time and being the extrovert that you are, you love meeting new people. Your energy is infectious and you know how to make a party out of every situation. People love being around you. Guys find you exciting and sexy but sometimes find it a little difficult to keep up with your frenetic pace. Serena Van der Woodsen is your style twin and maybe personality-twin as well. Sometimes being the life of the party takes a toll however, and as a result there are weekends where you go incognito and spend the weekend eating take-out and watching Netflix. Never fear, the next weekend you’ll be back to asking “so what’s the move this weekend, guys?” 

Cranberry and vodka

You aren’t the girl dancing on the bar; you are instead the girl sitting in the corner enjoying a great conversation with the one guy in the place that isn’t just looking for a hook-up. You don’t mind having a fun night out with your girls but you’d much rather be the observer rather than the center of attention. Despite this, people tend to gravitate towards you due to your cool and relaxed demeanor. You’re a great listener and friends always come to you for advice or a shoulder to cry on. Your look is always chic but never overdone and it is a rare occasion that you get sloppy drunk; you’d much rather be the one holding the hair than the one puking her guts up all in the name of a “having a good night”.

Rum and coke

I’ve always found that the rum and coke girl is pretty similar to the cranberry and vodka girl but even more straightforward and blunt. You are a no-frills kind of chick who sugar-coats nothing; not your words, not your opinions and certainly not your drink. This is not to say you are boring or anything of the sort, it just means that there are no surprises with you. You say what you mean and people always know where they stand with you. You’re that friend that always tells her girls exactly what they need to hear and have no qualms about shutting down any guy that approaches you inappropriately. Your look is just like you: powerful, simple and practical; you will not be that girl slipping and sliding through the snow in high-heeled pumps just to look cute. 

Cosmopolitan

If your drink of choice is the one cocktail made famous by Sex and the City, I’m pretty sure that says enough about you as it is. You are a diva (level: Beyoncé) and make no apologies for it. There’s no such thing as “overdressed” as far as you’re concerned. A fur vest and Louboutin boots is completely appropriate attire for a frat party. Girls love to hate on you but they secretly wish they could be as put-together and confident as you because you command attention from the moment you enter a room. Boys always complain that you are high-maintenance to which you respond, “And?”.  Quick-witted and sharp-tongued, you do not hesitate to let anyone know what’s on your mind, but do it in such a way that they say “thank you” once you’re done with them. 

Shirley Temple

Like the adorable bundle of curls the beverage is named after, you are cute as a button. Everyone doesn’t want to get all liquored up on a Saturday night and you fall squarely into this camp. Baby Spice was probably your favorite Spice Girl and you always know the right thing to say when someone is feeling down. “Cupcakes” is always the answer as far as you’re concerned and you can always be counted on to decorate your bestie’s dorm room door for their birthday. You rarely swear unless the situation truly calls for it and everyone always calls you their little sister even though more often than not, you are the one taking care of them. Simply put, you are the best friend anyone could ever ask for.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.