This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As I have begun to establish my rhythm as a college freshman and new writer for Her Campus, it seems appropriate to reflect on what writing has meant to me throughout the years. Throughout history, written work has existed as a means to share information and build meaningful connections with one another. It allows us to sustain communities from miles away and to find ourselves and our values. But if I were to capture what writing means through a single word, it would be “power.” For me, writing was always a hobby—however, it never held more meaning in my life than it does today. 2020 has been a tumultuous year in which deeply-ingrained issues in our world have come to light, and writing plays a powerful role in amplifying marginalized voices. Writing has served as a channel for expression and healing for millions of people worldwide. For me, writing also serves as a channel for activism.

When I was a young girl, my love for reading and writing kept me busy. I would search my home for new novels to embark on and would find myself hard at work in bringing my own characters to life. At that point in time, writing didn’t necessarily mean anything more than entertainment for me. Writing was a way for me to express my thoughts and ideas out on paper, and to share them with my parents who always encouraged me on every writing project, in spite of how atrocious my 6-year-old writing skills may have been. Writing existed as a way for me to create my own realities and explore the worlds created by other writers. Although today, writing means something different to me, the physical act of writing always served as a way to create realities—more specifically, better realities. Today, I think of writing in the same way. I write to envision and create a better, and more just, world for everyone.

Pexels

In high school, however, things changed. I began to write only for school assignments, and not for my own leisure. I began to see writing as more of a chore than a passion. It is unfortunate that oftentimes, the busy nature of school can affect how much time we dedicate to our creative endeavors. With that being said, my senior English class taught me a lot. In this class, we explored various works of people around the world telling their stories. From topics like imperialism and colonialism all the way to current-day racism, I immersed myself in the diverse texts assigned to us. And slowly but surely, my sheer passion for writing re-emerged— but this time, with a new twist. I began to incorporate activism into my writing and use writing as a way for me to keep up with everything going on in the world.

Photo by Josh Johnson on Unsplash

Right before college began, I made a promise to myself to prioritize writing, and Her Campus was the perfect place for that. Through HCBU, I have been able to channel my interests and passions about a wide array of topics. Her Campus has given me a voice to share my take on current-day events and phenomena. For these next four years, I am dedicated to seeing writing not as a liability for good grades like I did in high school, but as a way for me to authentically discuss topics that affect justice. I know that through writing, I can work for a better, more equitable community. Writing means power; because through writing, you give yourself a voice. By sharing your voice with others, you have the capability to influence and inspire. Writing allows you to create a better world for yourself and others—a world that has the potential to become our reality.

I encourage everyone to find their own channel of expression and reflection. After all, these past few months have given us a lot to unpack and understand the world around us. For some people, writing may be the very channel that allows them to educate themselves and others, amplify voices, and do their part in the fight for justice.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Wish Pandey is a senior at Boston University studying International Relations and Entrepreneurship. In her free time, Wish loves to read, travel, and attend concerts!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.