What to Wear Now: Spring 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Spring’s Top 5 Trends, Colors, and Silhouettes: How to Wear Them and Where to Find Them (All under $60)

TRENDS

• LaceYes, it’s still going strong. Although lace has been popular for quite some time, spring takes it to a whole new level. Try a different pattern, like this one from Madewell for a reasonable $50. Other ways to reinvent your love for lace? Pair with a sequin skirt, add lace tights under shorts, or try a crochet or macramé pattern. 

*Photo courtesy of Madewell

• Crazy prints galore! Think African tribal prints plus ikat plus polka dots. Feel free to tastefully combine these patterns, just make sure there is a similar color and the size of the patterns are proportional. Try this patterned scarf to add spice to a simple outfit, from Anthropologie for $48.
  • Ahoy matey! As usual, stripes are all the rage for spring. However, this season go with a dominant stripe in either black and white or navy and cream. Try a hat, light sweater, or even a summer blazer. Just make sure that whatever piece you chose is the focus of your outfit. Pair with one of spring’s new colors or a neutral base. Check out this tee from American Apparel at $38
  • Minimalism.Who doesn’t want to spend less time getting dressed? With this trend almost anything (or nothing) goes. Simple pieces in any color make this trend work. Try monochromatic shades or mix and match different colored solids. Typical minimalist pieces include blazers, silk tanks, and slim pants in solid colors. Look for inspiration from Vince’s spring collection. Buy this piece from Zara’s for $40.                        
  • Pajamas on the runway? Loungewear is becoming the next big thing. All varieties of PJ’s are now everyday wear. From lace nightgowns to silk pants, comfort is the new black. Look for this winter to spring transition piece from Forever 21 for $26. Another option? Take a short lacey dress and pair with tailored cropped trousers.                         

COLORS

• Forget navy, try electric blue. This bright cobalt hue will be sure to vivify your wardrobe. The color can be seen on pretty much everything…try a maxi dress or full piece bathing suit for the full effect. Mix with tan or even another one of spring’s new hot colors. As an alternative, try this color for a shoe ($35.50 from Charlotte Rousse) and add pop to softer pieces. 

*Photo courtesy of Charlotte Russe

• The new it color is poppy orange. Check out J.Crew and Madewell to see their latest renditions. I personally love mixing it with an ikat print or light denim. Try the color in a top, shorts, or skirt. Pair with gold accents for a sun kissed beach look or gladiator sandals for a more causal look.
  • Teawas all the rage across the runways; buy one or two pieces to brighten your winter blues. Wear these highlight pieces with black for a strong neutral base that will make these brights pop even more. Also be alert for teal accessories. Check out this dress for a spring/summer night out from ModCloth for just under $50. 
  • The classic all-American, all white look, its perfect for those summer BBQ’s on the beach but you can rock the look well before Memorial Day. For the cooler springtime take a heavier white sweater and pair with white jeans. Keep it minimal and tailored. Check out Top Shop’s take with this tank vest at $55.
  • Sheer madness. This was a late trend for the fall and winter but now the look is more weather friendly. Layer silk sheer pieces with solid or print tanks or throw a light colored leather jacket over it. Just make sure to pair your sheer piece with an equal amount of coverage. Try a loose blouse for $54 or throw this $39 slip under or even over a solid dress. Both from Urban Outfitters.

SILHOUETTES 

• Who would have thought? The 70’s are back…just as the time had two major trends: boho (check out this dress from Nordstrom for $42) and glamour, the spring season is bringing both styles back. For silhouettes try a wide leg pant, maxi skirt or peasant blouse.
  • Finally a versatile, comfortable pant is making a comeback. Yes, its trousers! Try cropped, tailored, loose fitted, cuffed, wide legged, or jean. The best part of trousers is that they are light and look good with a shirt tucked in or a loose crop top. Check out this bright pair from Zara at $60. 
  • Tail hems also made the cut and, to be honest, I was a little unsure what these were exactly, but I love them! It is such a cute, unexpected, and playful trend. Having the hem longer in the back or on the sides of the garment is a smart and clever look. Check it out on a skirt, shirt (from ASOS for around $50), or dress.

*Photo courtesy of ASOS

• Oh yes, they’re back…jumpsuits. Similar to last season’s romper, the new word is playsuit. Although trips to the bathroom are a little trickier the all in one outfit is effortless and comfortable. Just add shoes and some long necklaces. Instead of a crazy print, this season’s playsuit is more common in solids. Target offers the perfect, comfortable look for only $20.
  • Jackie O, anyone? Lady-like circa 50s and 60s. Think housewife with A-line skirts, fitted tops, blouse necklines, cropped tweed jacket, and longer hemlines. Make it modern by throwing on a blazer, adding patterns, or pairing with punky accessories. This puff-sleeved jacket is a perfect mix, from Nordstrom at $38. 
Ashley Rossi is a sophomore at Boston University studying Magazine Journalism and Mass Communication. After living in a small town for most of her childhood she looked towards the city for an exciting adventure. At BU Ashley has volunteered with the Community Service Center and written for various publications, including The Buzz and College Fashionista. Her goal is to eventually run the creative department for any major fashion magazine or international design house. Ashley also blogs daily on her blog, Gossip, Chanel, and English Tea on Tumblr. In the meantime she enjoys relaxing on the beach, watching Gossip Girl and Weeds, and reading the next Lauren Weisberger novel.
Allison Milam is a sophomore at Boston University double majoring in Communications/Advertising and Sociology. After living in sunny Sarasota, Florida for her first eighteen years, Allison shipped up to Boston for a new climate and a new start. She spends most her time working with the Community Service Center, writing for the Buzz Magazine at Boston University, and participating on BU's National Student Advertising Competition's team. She has a passion for cooking, eating, and talking about food, and hopes to attend culinary school after she graduates from BU. Allison spent the summer of 2010 as the resident food writer for SRQ Magazine back home in Sarasota, and continues to do freelance. Whenever she can squeeze it in, Allison loves watching Weeds and Mad Men. Her goal is to attend as many concerts and meet as many famous people as possible while living in Boston! Allison loves living the city lifestyle and hopes to one day write for Bon Appetit magazine or work for a cutting-edge advertising agency!