What Songs You Need to Listen to on “Thank U, Next”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I was a huge fan of Sweetener, so I was a bit skeptical about another album coming out so soon after Sweetener’s release. I enjoyed Thank U, Next, but figured a lot of the songs would feel hastily put together. However, I am so happy to say that is the exact opposite of what I feel. I don’t know how she did it, but Ariana Grande has released yet another amazing album a few months after her last. If you’re just getting into these songs or just want to see another person’s opinion on her music, below I’ve ranked her new releases from my least favorite (yet still amazing) to best.

12. Imagine

This song was released as a single shortly after Thank U, Next. It’s a good song, but not my favorite. It has a great message about the reality of relationships versus expectations, and a catchy tune. However, it still places lowest in the ranking.

11. In My Head

For some reason, I can’t remember the tune of this song right off the bat — I have to listen to it to remember how it goes, and usually I don’t need to do that. That being said, it’s a fun song to sing along to but not one that packs a punch that will last a long time.

10. Bloodline

The lyrics of this one are so sassy and speak to anyone who doesn’t particularly love long-term relationships. A lot of people prefer to date around or have flings, and I guess Ari’s one of them! It’s definitely a song that makes you feel empowered.

9. Bad Idea

Bad Idea is one of those songs that will immediately get stuck in your head. It’s also a relatively empowering song, but maybe not something you’d want to live your life to — if you do, though, keep doing you!

8. Make Up

I love this song, because it’s both sweet and sexy. It speaks about fighting in a relationship, on purpose or otherwise, in order to make up. The chemistry she speaks of in the relationship is sweet, although some of the lyrics about breaking up just to make up may not be my personal cup of tea.

7. Ghostin

If you listen to the song closely, you can gather what the song is truly about: Ari speaks about dealing with Mac Miller’s death, and how it affected her relationship with Pete. She would see Mac in her dreams and be haunted by his death, and Pete would act strong for her. Yet, she knew that being around him during this hard time made him miserable. This song makes me so emotional and, therefore, it’s not something I can listen to all the time. Yet, when I do, it’s so touching and truthful.

6. Fake Smile

This is one of those songs you listen to when you’re having a bad day and need a boost. It lets you feel not-so-alone, yet it also allows you to accept that sometimes you’re going to have a bad day. Owning up to your feelings can be powerful, after all.

5. Thank U, Next

Everyone knows this song by now. It’s super catchy and empowering, and the go-to song for a breakup. I’m placing it at number 5 because it’s been around the longest, as it was the first single released, and I’ve been wanting to listen to her newer tracks more.

4. NASA

Regardless of the lyrics, this song is just so catchy! You’ll catch yourself singing it at random times, I swear. I love the message of the song, too: it’s all about loving someone, but sometimes needing some personal time. I love how she’s normalizing that, since taking some time to rewind and have a mental health session is important.

3. 7 Rings

Once again, this song is super empowering and catchy. If you’re listening to it while walking to class, you’re going to feel like you’re straight out of a movie. At least with the music video, I feel like it’s a bit unlike Ariana’s personality. Maybe she’s changing as she continues to develop her own sense of self… who knows?

2. Break Up with Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored

While the music video is controversial and for another discussion, the song itself is really good. It’s just an all-around bop, and has helped Ari break a music world record! I’m sure you’ve heard the song by now, but if you haven’t, you won’t be disappointed.

1. Needy

Needy lands as the top song on her album. I absolutely adore the meaning behind this song, and relate to it way more than I’d like to admit. She talks about dealing with struggles in life, and the lasting effect it has had on her and how she is in relationships. It’s just so good.

I can’t wait to see what Ariana Grande does in the near-future, and I desperately hope I can see her on tour. I hope you enjoyed learning my personal ranking, and maybe you’ll agree with me once you hear the songs! Even if you don’t, at least one will be stuck in your head — that I can promise you.

All photos from @ArianaGrande on Twitter

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets

Francesca is currently studying human physiology in the beautiful city of Boston. She loves to curl up with a good book or watch a Disney movie any chance she gets.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.