What it’s Like to Grow Up With a Weird Name

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Throughout my school years, I always dreaded roll call and attendance. I anticipated the moment the teacher would stop. There would be a brief pause and a confused look. Then an attempt to pronounce my name. There have only been a handful of times when a teacher pronounced my name correctly on the first try.

For the record, my name is MyChalia. It’s pronounced Makayla.

Yes, the C is capitalized. No, it’s not misspelled. Yes, there’s a silent I.

So, you can see why attendance was always dreaded for me. Despite this, the weird spelling has garnered me a few fun nicknames. I’ve been called, Ma-chay-lea, My chinchilla, Ma-cah-lea, and so many more. The nicknames got to the point where some of my friends would only pronounce my name incorrectly.

In spite of the teasing and the endless list of mispronunciations, I love my name. The unique spelling of my name has become an important part of my identity.

I’ve had countless conversations with Lyft drivers, baristas, and other people I meet about the unique spelling of my name. They always comment on how they think the spelling is beautiful or just different. I’ve even had a friend say she wants to name her child MyChalia.

Also, I have a running gag with my friends to see what the weirdest spelling would be on my Starbucks cup. So far, it’s been Mycalya.

I’ve been asked many times if I would ever change my name. There was a time when I would have said yes. Now, I couldn’t even fathom having a different name. I appreciate all that comes with having a unique name.

My name is MyChalia and I wouldn’t change that for a thing.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

MyChalia is a freshman majoring in English Education in the Wheelock College of Education and Human Development at Boston University. She has a passion for education and social justice, as well as creating a loving and accepting community for all regardless of race, gender, sexual identity, etc. MyChalia also has a passion for reading and creative writing. She can be found lost in the isles of a Barnes n' Noble or chilling in a random Boston cafe drinking iced coffee.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.