What I Love About BU: A Guide for Prospective Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With colleges shut down across the country due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s a tough time for high school seniors who are trying to decide where to go to school next year. Considering BU? Here’s what I love about my school:

The City is the Campus

Step outside any of BU’s buildings and you’ll feel like you’re in the heart of Boston—because you are. I’ve always loved cities, and going to a city school was a really big thing I wanted from college. I love Boston because it has the fast-paced, slightly overcrowded, energetic city-feel without the grandeur and chaos of somewhere like NYC. Boston is a beautiful, historic city, and I love being able to say that it’s where I live.

There Are So Many Things to Do Off Campus

Not only is BU’s campus a direct piece of Boston, but there are so many things to do when you venture just a bit outside of the BU bubble. I’m not exaggerating when I say I’m obsessed with Boston and everything it has to offer. The T is a great way to get anywhere in the city that one could imagine wanting to go, especially because the Green Line runs directly through the middle of BU’s campus. Take it to Government Center to explore Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, and the North End’s incredible Italian food (don’t forget to stop at Mike’s Pastry!), or to Hynes or Copley to explore the shops of Newbury Street. You could also switch over onto the red line to explore Harvard Square, a great weekend night adventure.

A Practically Infinite Variety of Extracurriculars

Literally any club you can think of… BU probably has it. In September of every year, BU holds an extracurricular fair called Splash, and you’re guaranteed to find something you’ll love there (that’s how I found Her Campus!). Whether you’re looking for something academic, athletic, creative, Greek-life-based, or anything else, you’ll find it at Splash. And if you’re not feeling the clubs you joined in the first semester, there’s Splash 2.0 in January of every year. It’s basically impossible to not find a club you’re interested in!

The People

Now on to my favorite thing about BU: my incredible friends! I am beyond lucky to have met people who I already know I will be friends with for the rest of my life. The majority of the people I’ve met, even briefly, have been so welcoming and friendly. It feels like everyone is constantly looking to make more friends, which I love. I’m so grateful to the friends I already have, and I can’t wait to meet even more incredible people during the rest of my time at BU.

Going to Boston University is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, and I wouldn’t want to be spending my four years of college anywhere else. Happy college hunting, prospective Terriers!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Gabrielle is a senior studying English at Boston University. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her listening to Taylor Swift, reading a romance novel, or exploring new places in Boston. You can follow her on insta @gabriellepeck15.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.