What I Learned From Wearing Less Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’ve never been super skilled with makeup. My wings are hardly ever straight, and my eyeshadow is never complex. My everyday makeup look has always been pretty simple, especially by the standards set on social media. Each morning I’d put on a small arsenal of face makeup, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, and sometimes lipstick. About a month ago, I picked up my eyeliner and realized I really didn’t feel like putting it on. I’d always felt like it made me look awake, but I’d gotten a good night’s sleep (it was Spring Break). I put the pencil down and warily picked up my mascara. After a couple swipes, I put that down as well and stepped back. And I was (surprisingly?) happy with the result. Since then, I’ve stuck to BB cream, a bit of concealer, and mascara for my daytime looks, and I’ve been perfectly content. 

Here’s what I’ve learned since wearing less makeup:

I have so much more time in the morning. 

It takes me way too long to perfect my eyeliner, and I’m loving the extra ten minutes I can sleep in. 

I’m even more in awe of girls with flawless makeup. 

Girl, that takes time and skill that I don’t have and wish I did, and I applaud you. 

When I do put on more makeup, I feel great. 

On weekends or special occasions when I do spend more effort on my makeup, I feel extra special. It’s a big confidence boost. Wearing less makeup on a daily basis doesn’t mean I love it any less. 

I can save money or invest in nicer makeup. 

I’m buying less makeup which means I can use that money for something else or buy that beautiful eyeshadow palette I’ve been eyeing. 

There’s less of a shock on no-makeup days. 

People don’t make comments about how sick I look.

Natural beauty is actually a thing. 

I really don’t look as bad without makeup as I thought I would. If I’m tired, I’m going to look tired. Eyeliner doesn’t save me that much. And it’s nice to appreciate what you see in the mirror.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.