This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Art, the simple three-lettered word, has a broad definition. From photography to music to dance to painting, everything is a form of art. Creating something without words, something that speaks to people. Art is a language of its own. We see art everyday but how we see it is different.

For me, art has always played some part in my life. I’ve always been connected to it in one way or another. Maybe because my mother is creative and artistic in her own way, or maybe because somehow, whenever I fail to express myself through words, art helps me, which is the one thing I love the most about art. When I’m in a studio, with my favorite song playing on the stereo with nothing but art is on my mind, I feel happy and serene. In an ever-busy schedule, art is an escape from the constant chaos and pressure. When it comes to art, you can be anyone you want to be and express anything you want to. An engineer can be a great pianist or a doctor can make perplexing sketches. Art doesn’t always have to make sense to you. You don’t have to solve problems or explain theories in art like you have to in mathematics or science. Art itself is the solution and a remedy. Art is therapeutic.

When I see a painting or a sculpture in a museum and try to understand it from the point of view of the artist or the people around me talking about it, I’m always fascinated and surprised by how one painting can have so many different interpretations to so many different people. I think there is a little bit of art in everything around us and to be able to capture that art and interpret it in my own way is what fascinates me. When it comes down to actually explaining what art means to me, I cannot exactly put it into words, but all I can say is that it has an impact in my life. When I see an artist’s work or something beautiful around me, I give second thoughts to it rather than just passing it by. After reading this article of mine, someone might disagree with all of this and have a different opinion about what art is, but that is what is so astounding about art. How can such a small word can have such a broad meaning?              

I wouldn’t say that this is exactly what art means to me because there are still a few things about art that I just cannot put into word. But this is a brief description about what art means to me and the way it makes me feel.

Make sure that you take a few minutes out of your everyday life to notice and appreciate your beautiful surroundings!

The photos above are a glimpse of some of the art that was created and captured by me.

Hey! My name is Riya Haria and I'm from India. I am currently a freshman studying Journalism at the College of Communication. My hobbies include photography, exploring and listening to music. I am thrilled to be a part of Her Campus and cannot wait to express my thoughts and opinions with all of you! x
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.