The Ways You Flirted in Middle School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We all went through it, the awkward middle school years when you think that boy whose locker is a few down from yours is SOOO CUTE. (Emphasis on the cute) I mean, it’s kind of like college, except instead of lockers it’s a few seats away from you in a lecture or the floor below you in your dorm. Even though we’ve all grown up a bit, and maybe changed our style once or twice, here’s a lesson on the basics of flirting from my seventh grade self.

1.  Twirl your hair

Bringing some attention to your luscious locks? Not a bad idea. But twirling your hair so much it has a permanent kink, bad idea or as my guy friend said last time I was caught in the twirling hair act, “That’s just unattractive.” Instead of twirling your hair try the classic move and run your fingers through your hair (not repetitively though, then he might just think something is wrong.)

2. Laugh at everything he says (regardless of how funny it is)

Laughing= awesome. You show that you like to have fun and have a good sense of humor. However, laughing at everything he says, even when it isn’t funny, is a little confusing, and he’ll probably think you’re kind of weird. It’s simple: Laugh at what makes you laugh, don’t force it.

3. Be mean (attempting Reverse Psychology)

This used to be my go to move in middle school. Unfortunately, this doesn’t actually work. It’s okay to joke around, but don’t critique every little thing and confuse joking around with being rude.

4. Write his name all over your homework

That’s cute, sure, but a little creepy and if you did that in college I’m sure your professors and TAs/TFs would not be impressed with the hearts on your papers. Instead of hoping he’ll ask you out and waiting around, be bold and make the first move. Confidence is important and writing a guy’s name over and over again doesn’t make him like you more.

Photo from: http://dearannabelle.com/wp-co…

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."