Ways in Which We Can All Relate to Mindy Kaling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Ever since I was a little girl, my parents instilled the idea in my noggin that I could be anything I set my mind to. When I told my parents I wanted to be a “princess” when I was four years old, everything was fine. When I was eight and wrote a project on how I aspired to become a police officer, all was great.  And when I was eleven and began to write my own novel, my parents were just as supportive of my efforts. 

But I am well aware that not all women have such cheerleading parents growing up, and even society can play an oppressive factor in this game of life. Roll again, there’s a gender pay gap. Pick a card, women are more likely to be sexually assaulted. And have eating disorders. And experience twice the rate of depression as men, regardless of race or ethnic background.  

So what keeps us going, rolling, and picking up our pieces?  

For me, it is knowing that there are other strong women (and men!) out there— ones who motivate, understand, and support us! One of these women is Mindy Kaling, a success story who constantly searches to redefine what it means to be beautiful and what it means to be a woman in this day in age. 

She knows how to have self confidence. 

She knows how to be completely blunt when necessary. She will call you out on your wrongdoings. 

She knows how to make the best out of any situation.

She knows how to put into words what we have all felt before. 

She’s really never afraid to tell it how it is, no matter how rough that may be. 

And her confidence is always through the roof, as it should be. 

I’m sure we can all identify with her inner spirit.

But at the end of the day, we all know as well as Mindy does, that we are our own strong independent women. Hear us roar!

Shannon Stocks is a Junior at Boston University in the Sargent School for Health Sciences, majoring in Speech Language and Hearing Sciences. She has always loved to write and focuses this passion on her poetry. In her free time, you can find her at spin class on Newbury Street, working on a project in the community service center, or at the Hillel House. She loves being a part of the Her Campus Team!
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis