The Types of Guys at BU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’ll admit it, I have a “type” of guy I most often find myself falling for, and I can guarantee I’m not the only female on campus who is guilty of this. We’re all guilty of having that one guy that, if he fits everything on our list of requirements, we’ll overlook a lot of things to be with him. College is a great time to identify the type of guy you like, or the type of guy you need to stay the hell away from. Thankfully, BU’s campus provides ample visual representations and personal encounters for you to take inventory of the types and figure out what you want in your Prince Charming.

The Freshman:

So cute, so naïve, so… fresh. Tbh he looks like he’s 12. He’s eager to make new friends and will be more than willing to walk with you to class and meet up to grab lunch. Cougars love him because he’s just so surprised at his good fortune of talking to females in general that he’ll do anything to make you happy. Unfortunately, the innocent days won’t last forever and neither will yours, so there is an expiration date on this little nugget.

The Jock:

Holder of a six-pack that’s not natty light and able to bench lift me? Dream come true, right? Not so much. The Jock is great for your Instagram because he just photographs so damn well, but once you get past the looks there can be issues. For him, his sport is his life so you might not be a top priority. A bad practice can leave him in a grumpy funk because he will take any and all lack of success in his field personally and you will not be able to convince him otherwise. Tread carefully because you and every other girl on campus will be vying for his attention and who wants to share?

The CFA Guy:

If you’re looking for a guy that is more dramatic and better groomed than you, and thinks the Tony’s are the most important award show of the year, then look no further. He’ll constantly be spewing facts about his favorite director at you while sipping a bone-dry cappuccino, and then tell you how “Rent” changed his outlook on life. Clear your calendar for all the student plays he’ll want to take you to and fingers crossed that if there’s nudity, it doesn’t haunt your nightmares. Prepare yourself for lots of fedoras.

The SMG Guy:

He takes pride in knowing what NASDAQ stands for and hopes to one day be ringing the bell at the opening of the New York Stock Exchange. He knows how to dress to impress thanks to his major, and can give you a top notch presentation on a made up energy company he invented. Ever since the release of “The Wolf of Wall Street” he has found a new life goal and pretends he’s Leonardo DiCaprio when he walks up the stairs to the SMG Starbucks.

The COM Guy:

Do you know what film won the most awards at this year’s Sundance? Oh you don’t? No worries, he can tell you. And about the importance of correct lighting in order to prevent that “soap opera” look. He loves to watch ESPN not for the sports, but to take notes on the sports broadcasters that he idolizes. He can spin any story to make it sound how he wants thanks to that Public Relations class he took last semester. So that somehow, you feel badly that you made him agree to going out to dinner for your birthday when he had an oral presentation the next day.

The Frat Star:

His catch phrase is “turn down for what?” which he likes to say while nodding his head and looking around for someone to tell him something to actually turn down for because he will do it. Beer pong is a Division I sport in his eyes so do not even think of not playing by his set of specific rules. He talks about wanting to get a tattoo of his Greek letters and you hope he doesn’t go through with it. The frat house is sacred and not for the faint of heart. Backwards hats are a must in the day and nighttime as are vineyard vine long sleeves and pastel colored shorts. Bonus points for bean boots.

Charlotte is currently a sophomore at Boston University studying Political Science and History, but hopes to one day rule the world. In her free time she enjoys eating food with melted cheese, going antiquing, and serenading her dog with Usher’s greatest hits.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis