The Types of Girls You Will Encounter on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is a day which inspires strong emotions and reactions within girls; they either love it or hate it- rarely do you come across someone who is indifferent to the day. Personally, as a secret romantic, I feel like any day that people are encouraged to show love to one another is a good day. Though I know we shouldn’t need a day to do that, the point is most of us don’t so V-Day is a chance to remind our loved ones how much they mean to us. That said, I grew up with parents who didn’t just talk the talk but walked the walk and even though they never celebrated Valentine’s Day, they always did randomly sweet things for each other and still do. Consequently, I much prefer to get flowers on a random Thursday in July than on February 14th (not that I’d ever say no to flowers on any day). However, not everyone is as nonchalant as myself, so in honor of this impending day of love; here are the types of girls you will find on Valentine’s Day.

The Chick Who Rubs Her Relationship in Everyone’s Face:

I am really not a hater and I am totally for public displays of affection, but this chick gets on everyone’s nerves. It’s one thing to revel in and celebrate the day; it’s another thing to blast how amazing your SO is all over your various social networks. You already know this girl is going to have a 250-second snapchat story, 6 Instagram posts  (minimum) and an unnecessarily long and detailed Facebook post about how amazing her day was and how fantastically romantic her guy is. Now, don’t get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with showing your sweetie some social media love. However, if you find that an integral part of your excitement for the day involves seeing how many likes your posts will get or showing off how much better your guy is… do us all a favor and take it down a notch, if this girl sounds like you. Besides, it will come back to bite you in the you-know-what if you ever have to change that FB status to single and delete all those Instagram posts; trust, you will be the victim of many smirks and snickers.

The Girl Who Hates Valentine’s Day
This girl is also very annoying- yes, we know that V-Day is just another excuse to perpetuate the consumer-driven culture in America whereby we spend money buying meaningless roses and chocolates to express a “love” that we should be expressing everyday (or at least that’s what she wrote on her “WHY VALENTINE’S DAY IS A STUPID, CONSUMERIST HOLIDAY” blog post). But it’s just not that deep, baby girl. If people wish to use the day as an opportunity to let their sweetie know that they are appreciated, let them be. Yeah, some people overdo it and it can be a tad bit sickening but if you are really honest with yourself, the only reason a holiday where people show love could possibly inspire so much hatred is because you secretly wish that someone would go all out for you as well. Stop being so bitter and go out and buy yourself a box of chocolates, girl! Nothing to hate about love, it makes the world go round!

The “Gal-entine’s” Day Gal
This chick is usually single ( not always, but usually) and her particular situation tends to be one of the following: (a) she recently got out of a crappy relationship and is a little bitter (b) she is in a “situationship” and doesn’t know if the person she’s talking to will get her anything or want to celebrate it or (c) she truly just really loves her girls and wants to use the day to show them love. As a result, she goes all out making cards and sending her girls “candygrams” and posts collages of them on Instagram, calling her friends her “true soulmates”. For me, I think this girl is great as long as she falls into the category of (c), otherwise, she is really just using her friends as a means of dealing with her emotional baggage which isn’t cool.  And to be honest, if you shouldn’t wait until Valentine’s Day to let someone know you love them then the same applies to your girlfriends- show them you love them year round; don’t wait until February 14th.

The Single Lady

Talk about single and ready to mingle! This girl could care less about getting flowers or chocolates or being with someone on Valentine’s Day. She just wants to know “where the party at?” For her, Valentine’s Day is just one more reminder of how much she is in love with her single-dom and she certainly intends to live it up to the fullest. She will not be staying home on V-day and she will certainly not be moping about the fact that she does not have a man to take her out. She’s got her Beyoncé playlist on, she’s pulling out her “freakum dress”, and is grabbing her BFFS and hitting the club or the bar, hell, maybe even an acapella concert- she doesn’t care.  She is just trying to have a good time and Valentine’s Day is just another opportunity to do that. It’s not easy to reach this stage so I salute any girl who embodies this attitude. Life is for living- don’t let being single on Valentine’s Day ever make you feel bad about yourself.

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis