Style > Fashion

Trend Report: Moon Boots Are The Ultimate Winter Style Statement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Boring winter snow boots are out, and Moon Boots are in. This chunky, bouncy, and bold style is back and I couldn’t be happier. These shoes incite divisive opinions from the general public, but they’re a must-have this winter for those brave enough to give this trend a shot.

But first, a little history on the Moon Boot. It launched in 1969, inspired by the Apollo 11 moon landing. Designer Giancarlo Zanatta fell in love with the astronauts’ footwear, and suddenly the Moon Boot came to be. Throughout the decades, the Moon Boot design has been adapted by other brands who have created their own similar snow boot style, according to Forbes

Following the recent Moon Boot resurgence on Instagram and TikTok, Chloé has collaborated with Moon Boot to create a coveted knit and leather shearling pair that retails for $795-$1095. But don’t let that price tag scare you away; the original nylon Moon Boots retail for much less. This is an investment worthy of a New England winter.

If you’ve spotted Moon Boots on your feed this year, it’s likely you’ve seen the Classic Low or Icon Low 2 style. This shorter, ankle-length design is my personal favorite. But, if you’re looking for the ultimate statement shoe, the Moon Boot Icon style is for you. Seen recently on celebrities including Dua Lipa, Mariah Carey, and Kim Kardashian, the Moon Boot is as popular as ever. 

I’ve had my eye on the pink Icon Low 2’s for a few months now, but when I stepped into H&M for some shopping the other day, I walked out with a pair of fuzzy cream snow boots. I think this is a great way to try out the trend before making a big purchase. I’ll be honest, as much as I love Moon Boots on social media, I was a bit intimidated to wear them in real life. Eye-catching clothing speaks to me, but I hate getting stares in public — it’s a double-edged fashion sword for sure. Yet, I’m happy to report that these booties are making me very happy, and keeping my feet very cozy despite the snow. 

Maybe it’s time the Moon Boots make the leap from my shopping cart to my closet. Where do you fall when it comes to this supersized trend?

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Mariel is a junior at Boston University studying Advertising and Film/TV. She loves fashion, trying new restaurants and food spots, and chatting about all things pop culture.