Transitional Outfit Choices for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Jeans. Sweater. Riding boots. Scarf. Jeans. Sweater. Riding boots. Scarf. Jeans. Sweater. Riding boots. Scarf–sound familiar? Too often, changes in the weather force even the most stylish collegiate into an outfit rut. Lately, the weather has been anything but predictable, sunny one day and windy the next. And is it only me, or does the temperature change as we walk in and out of the sun on different parts of campus?! Avoid being that girl who forgot to check weather.com before her 9am class, and try out one of these outfit options instead of the typical jeans, sweater, riding boots, scarf. 

1. Skirts with Boots

Knitted top: Topshop | Equestrian Boots: Forever 21 | Skirt: Phillip Lim for Target | Bow Studs: Thomas Sabo | Tough Love Wrap Bracelet: BaubleBar | Rope Necklace: BaubleBar

This look is perfect for those fall days when you want to wear your new riding boots. With just a small change from the “jeans, sweater, riding boots, scarf” look described above, you’ll achieve a more feminine look. Plus, you know you’ll be wearing your riding boots over jeans (with fuzzy socks in-between) come winter, so why jump ahead to it now? Wearing your boots with a skirt will ensure that your legs will be warm, without causing you to sweat through your jeans. I’ve found the key to achieving this look is to play with lengths: you don’t want your boots to touch your skit, so try a mid-thigh flowy skirt with boots that hit below your knees. 

2. Sweaters over Dresses

Sweater: H&M | Swing Dress: ASOS | Suede booties: H&M | Spike Bracelet: Topshop | Long Necklace: LOFT 

Not ready to put away your favorite sundress quite yet? Trade bare shoulders and sandals for a chunky sweater and ankle boots and you’re good to go. This look can be versatile depending on what dress you just can’t part with yet. Experiment with pairing tight dresses with oversized sweaters or flowy dresses with crop sweaters. Mix a printed dress with a solid sweater, or vice versa. This style also looks cute with oxfords, biker boots, or high socks (see below).

3. High Socks

Thigh-high sock: Urban Outfitters | Swing Dress: ASOS | Studded Loafers: Forever 21 | Infinity Bangle: Blue Nile | Statement Necklace: BaubleBar

This look is for the edgy schoolgirl inside of you just waiting to be set free. High socks aren’t just for theme parties or tucking under boots. In fact, none of you should be wearing high socks over leggings with riding boots yet. It isn’t that cold yet ladies! Anyway, high socks can be great for making a statement on their own. Wearing thigh-high socks can allow you to keep your dresses or even shorts around through fall. Again, there’s no need to pull out the riding boots as your legs are already covered, so put on loafers, oxfords, or ankle booties to complete the look.

4. Dark Colored Jeans

Coated Jeans: Blank NYC | Chambray Shirt: Anthropologie | Bootie: Modcloth | Statement Necklace: JewelMint | Bow earrings: Betsey Johnson

Too often, we fall into the trap of always picking out our shirt first. Before you reach for your favorite cut-out sweater, open your pants drawer and pull out a pair of dark colored denim so that you can build your outfit around your statement bottoms. Colored jeans aren’t just for summer! So many fall sweaters and shirts are neutral colored, so you’re bound to have options when it comes to finding something to match your bold pants. When I wear this look, I try to tone it down by wearing all shades of black or all shades of tan with a pop of color on my pants. Wear a chambray shirt to achieve the above denim on denim look. 

5. Maxi Skirts

Crop Sweater: Topshop | Maxi Skirt: H&M | Flats: Sam Edelman | Finge Necklace: Forever 21 

Although maxi skirts were popular this summer, they’re also great for fall since they cover your legs. Although you might not want to keep your pastel skirts around, your darker colored maxis are still weather appropriate, especially when paired with a cropped sweater. If your maxi is a thin fabric, wear tights, high socks, or leggings under it–no one will ever know! 

What’s your favorite fall look BU?!

Rebecca Shinners is a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and Photo Intern/Freelancer at O, The Oprah Magazine. She graduated from Boston University in 2014 with a BS in Journalism and concentration in Photojournalism. She got her start in magazines writing for Her Campus and was previously an Editor for both Her Campus BU and Her Campus Tulane. Her work has also appeared in Seventeen Magazine, Teen Vogue, Bustle.com, Hamptons Magazine, and Newsday. When Rebecca isn't busy writing and taking pictures, she can be found shopping, petting puppies, wearing the color mint, and going to concerts.More: http://rebeccashinners.weebly.com/
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.