Top 9 Ways to Celebrate Autumn in New England

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As the leaves wear a new set of fiery hues, riding boots emerge from wardrobes, and pumpkin spice lattes rule coffeehouses, it’s clear that fall has settled in to Boston.  It can be easy to miss out on all the new season has to offer amid the day-to-day rush down Comm Ave and tiresome midterm studying routine.  So take a study break and ditch your dorm room with these Top 10 Boston Fall Boredom Busters.

1. Farmer’s Market

Every Thursday through October 24th, BU is hosting vendors from the greater Boston area for a farmer’s market at the GSU plaza.  Find fresh, locally grown grub and pick up a few pumpkins to decorate.  

1. Pumpkin carving

What would fall be without some pumpkin carving?  Grab a few from the market and a couple of friends, then get creative!  Check out these stencils for inspiration.

1. Apple picking

New England is home to an abundance of apple orchards.  Drink some cider and snatch some red delicious or McIntosh apples to bring home to the roomies.  

http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/specials/foliage/specials/apple_picking/

1. Food festivals

Looking for more ways to eat meatless and switch up your diet during the change of season?  Visit the 18th annual Boston Vegetarian Food Festival on October 26 and 27.

1. Salem Haunted Happenings

If sleeping at ease just isn’t your thing, take a trip to Salem, home of the infamous witch trials.  Experience spooky sights to give you nightmares for weeks.

1. A Cappella Competition

On October 19 and 20, catch BU’s own a cappella group, Terpsichore, harmonize its way to take last year’s title from Cornell’s Men of Last Call at the 17th Annual A Cappella Competition, taking place at Faneuil Hall.

1. Make Fall Treats

Satisfy that sweet tooth and your inner baker.  Check out Sarah Siegel’s Mug Recipes for Your Dorm Room and bake for your floor!  

1. Foliage at Arnold Arboretum

Harvard’s Arnold Arboretum is the perfect spot to view the colors of the season firsthand.  Take your artsy photog friends along and commence fall photo shoot among the trees.  

1. Catch a Game

With the Red Sox in the ALCS, October in Boston is an exciting time for baseball fans.  Be part of Red Sox nation at a game from inside a Fenway area pub.  More of a hockey fan?  Get decked out in Bruins gear, or better yet, cheer on BU’s Terriers.  Check out the men’s hockey schedule and head over to Agganis.