Top 5 Things on My Grocery List as a Vegetarian Living in a Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The dining hall can either be loved or dreaded; I feel like there’s nowhere in between. I have heard from upperclassmen that the dining hall used to be better in previous, non-Covid years, but currently it doesn’t have many options, especially if you have dietary restrictions. In my case, I’m vegetarian. So every other week or so, I head to the grocery store and spend additional money on food—can we please get rid of the dining plan requirement? Here are 5 things that you will find in my cart every time I visit the grocery store.

Carrot Sticks

It might be the way the pandemic has changed the dining halls’ organization, but my options for vegetables are usually limited to a salad, which consists of assorted lettuce and a few shreds of carrot and tomato slices. So, I go out of my way to get my vegetables on my own. Carrot sticks require absolutely no prep, and I’ll usually eat them with hummus as a midday snack.

Hummus

I don’t know when I developed my love for hummus, but it’s one of my favorite dips, especially with carrots. My favorites are the Olive Tapenade from Sabra and Cilantro Jalapeno from Trader Joe’s.

Dairy-Free Yogurt

While the dining hall now has yogurt cups, I’m trying to cut down on my dairy consumption, as I continue to read about the negative effects of dairy on the body and the environment. I prefer to buy a tub instead of individual cups since it’s cheaper that way. So far, I’ve tried both coconut milk and almond milk yogurts, and I really like them both!

Granola

I feel like as I’ve grown older, I’ve noticed that I don’t like regular cereal as much. I’ve grown to like granola a lot. Granola is often a part of my breakfast, whether I eat it with my favorite vanilla almond milk or dairy-free yogurt and fruit. I try to switch up the flavor every time, so I don’t get bored of it.

Pre-Cut or Easy-to-Eat Fruit

Like vegetables, it’s hard to find a lot of fruit options in the dining hall. There are fruit cups and bananas, and while I’ve never had a problem with the latter, you never know if the fruit will be ripe in those fruit cups. Thus, I will get the bananas from the dining hall but find other fresh fruit somewhere else. Oranges, grapes, and apples are usually my top choice when I pick fruit, since they’re easy to prepare in a dorm. Otherwise, I will grab pre-cut fruit containers; this week I grabbed pineapple since it doesn’t spoil quickly.

As I continue on as a college student, I feel like these items will never not be on my grocery list. I feel lucky that I am able to afford to go grocery shopping a few times each month, and that I have a grocery store close to my dorm.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!