The Top 5 Spring Break Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s that time of year again: when your Instagram gets crowded with pictures of your friends and classmates lounging on the beach, sipping on pina coladas as they become progressively tanner. Or maybe they’ve decided to be a little more versatile and jet-hopped to some maddeningly beautiful European destination. Either way, as you scroll through social media, you’re jealous. However, don’t worry! It’s never too late to plan out your spring break for the next year — even on a budget. Here are some of the most underrated places to go on spring break:

1. The New York Subway System

What’s better than navigating the confusing grid of the New York City Metropolitan system for spring break? You might not get a tan due to the lack of being outside, but you’ll get a glimpse of the New York City wildlife (is that a rat or a small dog?), and you’ll save a ton from not going on that trip to Atlantis, am I right?

2. The Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Instead of taking a cruise around the Pacific Ocean, why not check out this lovely little pile of garbage in the middle of the sea? Sure, it might be a serious environmental hazard, but who says you can’t scavenge among the trash and find some nice spring break souvenirs?

3. The Chuck E. Cheese Ball Pit

A popular spot not only for germs and screaming children, but also for spring break fun! Get some of your friends together and rent out the Chuck E. Cheese ball pit for a week. Whoever contracts a weird virus first wins spring break!

4. That One Australian Village Where it Rains Spiders

Looking for an adventure this spring break? Look no further than an Australian village where it rains spiders! Imagine waking up every day to get your tan, and being covered in spiders. Amazing. Maybe someone will figure out a way to create a skin care line from spider webs. Open up a nice spa resort in the village of raining spiders. 

5. The White House Briefing Room

If you’re looking for relaxation during spring break, the White House briefing room during a press conference is the perfect place for you. Sean Spicer just simply evokes that calming leisure that we all need during a vacation. Simply blend in with the curious reporters, kick your feet up, and listen to Sean Spicer’s sputtering excuses. Trust me, you’ll feel like you’re on a beach in Cancun.

So, if you’re feeling like your lack of spring break plans is a bummer, get a head start on planning next year’s break. After all, these places I just mentioned will definitely be a bargain — and totally beautiful too! I mean, seriously: would you rather be relaxing in the Caribbean, or napping in a bed of spiders?

…On second thought, don’t answer that.

Maddie is a senior majoring in journalism and public relations in the College of Communication at Boston University. Hailing from suburban Philadelphia, Maddie is incredibly happy to be back in Boston for her fourth year. This year, she's looking forward to spending all of her money on brunch, downing lots of coffee, and of course, writing and editing at Her Campus. Outside of Her Campus, Maddie is involved with her sorority and exploring all of Boston.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.