samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 5 Reasons to Register to Vote

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I know you have probably already heard this speech from many adults and peers but it is time to hear it once again. This November, the midterm election is about to occur. According to research done by FairVote, the voter turnout for midterm elections has decreased to under 40 percent this past midterm election. That needs to change! College students are the next generation to be impacted by the next Congressional cycles of voting, so make sure you have a say in your post-college years.

If my rhetorical appeal isn’t enough, be sure to look at the list below as to top five reasons you should vote in order of importance!

1. If you don’t vote, you won’t have a say.

Well, this one is definitely a given but it is incredibly important. There’s no way you will have a say in the laws that are created for your life if you don’t vote. It’s not possible because no one can vote for you. None of us are becoming Senators or Representatives for a couple of years now, so you might as well do what you can to be active in the process.

Another thing is that for women, this election is your time to shine. For the first time ever, we have a record of over 250 women running for Senate and Congressional House. Women waited too long to get the right to vote and to join the legislative branch. This is the chance to make history. Don’t miss out on the chance to be a part of that.

2. Voting is what makes us a democracy.

I cannot stress this enough. If you don’t believe me, listen to one of our founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin, who said after the first Constitutional Convention that “We have a republic, if you can keep it!” A republic means that we are all active and contributing to our society. That is not possible without voting! Keep the republic our founding fathers worked hard to create. Make sure we remain a democracy—a nation by the people and for the people.

3. Someone needs to keep politics in check, so why not you and your friends?

This!!! Is!! Why!! We!! Vote!! Our current political climate is rough, to say the least, but being active in politics is your civic responsibility. You, as an American citizen, have the job of keeping the government in check and that is honestly a really hard job. It means that you have a moral obligation to vote and you should. Take your friends and go do your civic responsibilities, after all, it is the first step to being an adult.

4. Educate yourself on regional politics!

Before I voted, I had no idea what was going on in local politics. I knew there was a government and that they did things, but I didn’t know exactly what fueled that movement. Turns out, there are measures on the ballots specific to your local community! So, learn about them and educate yourself on local politics, so you know how things impact your home community and your family.

5. If you don’t vote, don’t be a hypocrite.

Listen up, folks. If you don’t vote and are unhappy with a measure that is passed, you really can’t say anything because you made the decision to not vote. That is on you. When you have all the requirements to vote and you don’t, you cannot be frustrated or “anti-government” because you didn’t voice your opinion. Don’t be a hypocrite, just go vote so you can be angry with all of us when things don’t go your way. You wouldn’t want to miss out on all the fun, would you?

So that’s your fun and friendly speech/rant from me. Whatever your opinions are, they deserve to be heard. No one can tell you otherwise, especially not the Registrar of Voters. I’m going to attach a link to basic facts about Midterm Elections here! So, go register to vote or get your absentee ballot. Educate yourself, make your mark and be a part of what will soon make your future.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

I'm Kirthana Iyer, and I go by Kir as well! I am super fascinated by investigative reporting but I also have a soft spot for a simple listicle. At Boston University, I am a Journalism major with a concentration in International Relations. Since high school, I have had a passion for writing whether it be an argumentative essay or an article on the next Senior class event, so I wanted to find a way to do that in college. HerCampus provides me with that outlet. I am able to write about issues that an everyday teen deals with to pieces about our current political climate. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.