miss congeniality sandra bullock
miss congeniality sandra bullock
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
Style

The Top 5 Moments of 2020’s Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In this day and age, fashion week isn’t just about the clothes, but rather the entire experience. Some designers like to keep their shows fairly traditional and put clothes at the forefront, but the most revolutionary, innovative designers know how to bring attention onto the collection while creating an immersive viewing experience. Here are the top five moments of 2020’s fall fashion week.

Marc Jacobs Choreography

The Marc Jacobs show was the perfect ending to New York Fashion Week. While over 80 models, including superstar Miley Cyrus, walked the runway, guests couldn’t help but look at the dancers charging full speed ahead. Choreographed by Karole Armitage, over 50 dancers, dressed by Jacobs himself, swarmed the audience in organized chaos and contortions. This show may have been the finale to NYFW, but it has set the standard for creativity and originality for all future shows.

Gucci’s Backstage Pass

Guests to Gucci’s show during Milan Fashion Week entered the show not through the main entrance, but rather a backstage door. As the most important people of the fashion world walked to their seats, they caught glimpses of the models, makeup artists, and hairstylists in their pre-show frenzy, preparing to turn that chaos into beauty. If that wasn’t a sneak peek enough, creative director Alessandro Michele orchestrated for the backstage hub to be revealed onstage on a giant turntable stage. Over 60 models were seen in the midst of getting dressed and putting on last-minute hair and makeup touches. Staff members outfitted in a grey button-down uniform stood along the edge of the glass turntable along with the models.

Jillian Mercado at The Blonds

Jillian Mercado is one of the few professional models with a physical disability. She uses a mechanical wheelchair due to muscular dystrophy, but that didn’t stop her from making her NYFW runway debut at The Blonds. Wearing a delicately extravagant embellished gold jumpsuit and matching headdress, Mercado was the talk of the town. For Mercado, it was the “opportunity of a lifetime” and a “huge milestone” not just for her career, but for visibility for disabled people.

Moschino

Although Jeremy Scott’s Moschino show was held in Milan, the collection drew inspiration from 18th century France. Donned in Marie Antoinette-era corsets, mini hoop skirts, and hairstyles, models walked down a runway straight from Versailles. They didn’t just let them eat cake, but they wore it, too.

Cast of Cheer

The best moment of fashion week might have been the mat talk, or I guess in this case, the runway talk, coming from the front row of Brandon Maxwell’s show in New York. Lexi Brumback and Gabi Butler, two members of Navarro College’s elite cheer squad, brought the energy to another level with their supportive callouts. Rather than just music or silence, as the models walked down the runway, they heard Gabi and Lexi yelling: “All 10s,” “Gorgeous,” “Slaying it,” “Honey you’re everything.” And that’s exactly what I would want to hear if I were on the runway. Netflix’s Cheer has made the whole world fall in love with these dedicated cheerleading stars, and rightfully so. Honey, they’re everything.

A fashion show has so many different components to it: designers, clothes, models, makeup artists, hairstylists, guests, etc. By taking all of these elements into account, they are able to create a memorable, lasting show that leaves an impression on the fashion world, which the above designers definitely accomplished.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sannah is a freshman at BU studying Film + TV in the College of Communication. Most of her writing is inspired by her interests in film, fashion, and activism. Other than that, you can find her working at coffee shops, watching (and rewatching) random films, and quoting Taylor Swift lyrics.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.