Top 15 Theme Songs From Your Childhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We’ve been in school for most of our lives, and during any kind of studying, we’d come back to one familiar question over and over again in the ungodly hours of nights before big exams: why can’t we remember concepts and definitions as easily as song lyrics? We might have forgotten the Pythagorean Theorem and the definition of antidisestablishmentarianism, but turn on a throwback playlist and we can recite songs we first heard ten years ago like it’s our job. But even then we might forget a word or two.

Among all ear buds stands one category of songs that sticks to our brains and will never let go— the TV theme song. Even now they cheer us up and make our days a little brighter. Here’s a list of songs that have us wishing we were back to those Saturday mornings when we didn’t have concerns greater than the newest episode of our favorite show (well…wishing more than usual)!

1. That’s So Raven

The first four notes of this theme play and suddenly we’re jamming to one of the most iconic Disney intros of our generation. Raven-Symoné has changed a lot since these the halcyon days of this show’s airing, but we’ll never forget her concluding quip: “Yup, that’s me!”

2. Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers

Feeling cheesy? Although the original American version of the Power Rangers aired in 1993 with Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers, our generation got to enjoy the many series that upheld its legacy, like Power Rangers Dino Thunder, Ninja Storm and S.P.D. But nothing beats the original theme song, no matter how much we laugh at the outdated slang (“Recruit a group of teenagers with ATTITUDE!”) we’ll be jamming to the first song even when there’s a hundred versions of Power Rangers.

3. Kim Possible

This show’s popularity lasted way longer than the pager’s lifespan, as it’s inspired millions of custom ringtones years after its airing (including ours!) Kim Possible was our “average girl” but far from basic, as she’s still one of our favorite protagonists from Disney Channel’s golden age of cartoons. We’ll always miss watching her save Ron and Rufus from the trouble of the week and rush to finish homework and cheer practice at the same time. Anyone who loved Disney Channel remembered the Kim Possible movie as the event of the year. Too bad it took us way longer than it should have to figure out “sitch” was short for “situation.”

4. Phineas and Ferb

In 2007, most of us were either finishing elementary school or still in middle school, but regardless of the age we saw it, Phineas and Ferb is as beloved as the older titles on this list. Most of us don’t remember memorizing Phineas and Ferb’s summer anthem, but regardless of intent, we know every word by heart. This theme’s catchy tune and fun lyrics make us wish we had summers as eventful as the characters. These days, when our summers consist of working or snagging a coveted internship, this theme reminds us of summers where all we had to do was have fun. So we’ll always sing along!

5. The Fairly Oddparents

Back then, if you could recite all the things Timmy listed towards the end of the song without messing up, you were cool. Today, if you can recite all the things Timmy listed without messing up, you’re still cool. The Fairly OddParents offered one of the most interesting and fun concepts for a cartoon show on Nickelodeon, with a theme song to match. Even other songs within the show stick with us, like “My Shiny Teeth and Me”, practically a cartoon classic by now. Timmy, Wanda and Cosmo still leave us wishing for some real fairy godparents to this day.

6. Danny Phantom

Since it was created by the same people who gave us The Fairly Oddparents, it’s no surprise that Danny Phantom’s theme song is just as memorable. Now that we’re older, we can’t believe Danny was fighting the supernatural and surviving high school at “just fourteen.” These days we’re not even sure we can handle college at 21.

7. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

If this song wasn’t on this list, it’d be a disgrace to TV theme songs everywhere. Memorizing this rap is a rite of passage. It’s so powerful it makes crowds of people stop everything they’re doing and start rapping until they’re through. To this day people beg Will Smith to sing it over and over, and even he’s not tired of it yet. So take a minute and sit right there, and we’ll tell you how he became the prince of a town called Bel-Air.

8. Teen Titans

When there’s trouble, do you know who to call? Teen Titans! This song was an anthem for girls and boys alike. Its slow scrolling visuals did nothing to dampen the excitement the theme song filled us with. There was also a Japanese version of the song that played when the episode was gearing up to be more funny than serious. When Teen Titans was unexpectedly cancelled after its fifth season, we were more than a little disappointed. Teen Titans Go isn’t much of a consolation, either. But no matter what, we’ll always jam to this song.

9. Sailor Moon

To this day, Sailor Moon is an international smash hit. Coming home from school to catch up with Serena (or Usagi, for fans loyal to the Japanese version) was almost a ritual. For lots of girls, Sailor Moon was the first time we saw girls become the superhero, so to this day Sailor Moon, Sailor Mercury, Sailor Venus, Sailor Mars, and Sailor Jupiter remain dear to our hearts.

10. The Proud Family

Destiny’s Child and Solange came together to sing a theme that still makes us smile today. This smooth melody isn’t fast-paced or action packed like some of our favorite songs on this list, but regardless we remember every word.

12. Avatar: The Last Airbender

Although not a traditional TV intro, we know A:TLA’s opening monologue like we know the alphabet. All kinds of things can change when the Fire Nation attacks, but our love for Nick’s number one rated series of all time never will.

13. The Suite Life of Zack and Cody

Although Disney Channel did its best to imitate their success with Suite Life on Deck, nothing could compare to the original series’ theme song. We never knew hotel life could be so exciting until we kept up with these two troublemaking twins.

14. Scooby-Doo

Where’s Scooby Doo? As the oldest theme song on this list, Scooby-Doo earns its place stuck inside our heads. It’s recognizable to both our generation and our parent’s generation, standing the test of time and going on to produce spin-off series, animated movies, and even a live-action movie. To this day, we want to know what a Scooby snack tastes like…and want whatever Shaggy was smoking.

15. Pokémon  

Play this theme on a speaker and watch everyone within 6,000 miles rush to join in a huge chorus of passionate singing. If anything ruled our childhoods, it was Pokémon. Veterans of the 90s still shudder to remember the endless Pokemon-themed items that overtook the U.S. so quickly and completely that you couldn’t escape it. As a result, even today’s kids respect this theme as the Holy Grail of all cartoon theme songs.

Nicole is a junior Film/TV major at Boston University. She's an Argentinean first generation student who made the leap from Miami to Boston for college. She has chosen writing as a career for reasons no one can explain, except maybe with theories of her masochistic tendencies. She dreams of being on a writing team for a sitcom and someday becoming a showrunner of her own original show.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.