This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As the music world prepares for the release of 5 Seconds of Summer’s highly-anticipated fourth album Calm on March 27, here’s a countdown of my top 10 songs by Australian band 5 Seconds of Summer. 

“Heartbreak Girl”

This song is a perfect 5 Seconds of Summer blend. It has an upbeat tempo, complex and meaningful lyrics, and great vocals. A perfect song to sing with a hairbrush in hand, this song is guaranteed to get you up on your feet. 

“Youngblood”

“Youngblood”, off their third album of the same name, has become another classic 5 Seconds of Summer song. Maybe one of the most pivotal songs in their career as a band, “Youngblood” is a much more mature banger, with an EDM sound and complex lyrics, compared to some of the more upbeat songs on their first two albums.

“Amnesia” 

“Amnesia”, a fan favorite, is one of the band’s saddest and slowest songs. This is a perfect song to add to your sad songs playlist. It was released in 2014 on their self-titled debut album 5 Seconds of Summer. This is a song guaranteed to make you miss someone and maybe shed some tears. 

“Lie to Me”

Another song off their most recent album Youngblood, “Lie to Me” is a mature sound for the band, as it has a slower tempo and deeper lyrics. This is another song guaranteed to make you miss someone. Ashton, Luke, and Calum are all contributing writers on this song. 

“Mrs. All American”

“Mrs. All American”, another classic off their self-titled debut album 5 Seconds of Summer, has a more edgy sound. Michael and Calum are contributing writers on this hit song. 

“Easier”

“Easier” marks another pivotal sound change for the band. Similarly to “Youngblood”, this banger is a more mature sound for the band as they move away from their original pop-punk sound. “Easier” has a more EDM sound and tests Luke’s vocal range by giving him much higher vocals.

“She Looks So Perfect”

“She Looks So Perfect” is the song that started it all. This major hit is another fast-paced, pop-rock song off their self-titled debut album. It will always be a classic 5 Seconds of Summer song. 

“She’s Kinda Hot”

“She’s Kinda Hot” is another absolute banger and hit song off their album Sounds Good Feels Good. Inspired by 90s music, this album marks a change in their sound as they were trying a more pop-punk sound.

“Ghost of You” 

This underrated song is off their most recent album, Youngblood. This song is a perfect example of the band trying a more mature sound, and Ashton and Luke are contributing writers. The emotional lyrics and slow instrumentals make this the perfect sad, heart-wrenching song to add to your sad song playlist. 

“Voodoo Doll”

This banger was released in 2014 on their self-titled debut album, 5 Seconds of Summer. The beat drop before the chorus makes this song a real headbanger and a guaranteed mood-changer. 

Give these songs another listen as you prepare for the March release of 5SOS’s fourth album!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Grace is a sophomore at Boston University. She is studying Public Relations with a minor in Anthropology. Grace is originally from Raleigh, North Carolina.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.