This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Boston is a truly collegiate city. When I first arrived as a freshman in September 2007, the parties were fun but not quite the college experience I had pictured—at least in the beginning. I was lucky enough to have a high school party life and the first two months of college did not overshadow my high school memories.  Then, I made good friends and it all changed.  We made our way through Ashford, Linden, MIT Frats, Harvard Final Clubs, etc.  Freshman year was fun, but then sophomore year came around.  We were more mature, more experienced with the BU nightlife and realized the parties weren’t cutting it anymore. There were some exceptions but overall they just stunk.  Boston is a city school, aka a bar school.  My friends and I haven’t tried them all, but we have been to A LOT.  Here’s a list of some of our favorites.  You are guaranteed to at least have a decent night at these establishments:

1. An Tua Nua, 835 Beacon St., in south campus
This is a favorite spot of ours, but only on Thursday nights.  We’ve been there other days of the week, but it’s just not the same.  They offer $1 drafts until midnight.  They have a more sports bar in the front, and a dance floor in the back.  Little tip, everyone thinks there is only the one bathroom in the front, but there’s a bigger one in the back of the dance floor—ladies, you will not have to wait in line.  The DJ is good; he even plays Lonely Island (from SNL) every Thursday.

2. Tavern In The Square (aka TITS), 161 Brighton Ave., in Allston
TITS is great on Thursdays. An Tua Nua was more popular last semester, but TITS is now “all the rage” on Thursdays, especially for seniors.  You have to get there semi-early or you will wait, unless you are friends with someone like my amiga Kaltra who is adored by the bouncer and lets us cut the line.  You will see every single person that you don’t want to see there. So, if you are trying to avoid an ex, TITS is not the place for you.

3. Lansdowne Pub, 9 Lansdowne Street, by Fenway
Every time we have been to Lansdowne, we have had a ball. It’s big, and you see a broader crowd than the usual BU scene.  We have been on a Thursday (Karaoke night), but Fridays and Saturdays are better.  They have live bands on the weekends, which cover pop songs.

4. T’s Pub, 973 Commonwealth Ave, next to Paradise
T’s has changed names and management numerous times over my college career, but it has pretty much been dubbed “The BU Bar”. It’s close and easy, right on campus. T’s is popping on Tuesday nights. The prices are reasonable and you are sure to see some BU athletes, especially after a win during hockey season.

5. White Horse Tavern, 116 Brighton Ave, in Allston
Another BU spot.  White Horse is a chill bar, with good music and pool tables.  It’s a place to socialize, not dance.  You will absolutely run into people you know.  Any weekend night is decent, but Boston College kids have taken over on Thursday nights as of late. Also, during the warmer weather they have an outside portion with tables in the back.

6. The Estate, 1 Boylston Place, in “The Alley”
Estate is the clubbiest club on the list.  It has the lights, the floor, the people, the music, the dancers, and the overpriced drinks and cover. But it’s a blast. You have to be in the right state of mind to go, and you will dance the whole night.

7. Ned Devine’s, 1 Faneuil Hall Market Place, in Quincy Market
Ned Devine’s is huge, for a bar. There is room to breath while still having a good dance floor. They have live bands playing on the weekends.  The drinks are decent.  There is a $10 cover, but you will never wait on a long line at Ned Devine’s. This is the first place I had a Lindsay Lohan shot, which is a redheaded slut with a splash of coke, LOVE IT.

8. Middlesex Lounge, 315 Massachusetts Ave, in Cambridge
I think of this as a trendy bar, whatever that actually means.  It’s in between a club and a pub.  The drinks are mid-range, but they give you big portions for the price you are paying, and in real glasses, not plastic.  The DJ is different, but it’s a nice change up from the normal top 20 repeats. 

9. Phoenix Landing, 512 Massachusetts Avenue, in Cambridge
This one is the non-club alternative in Cambridge. It’s a smaller version of An Tua Nua and it’s British.  They have good beers and ciders on tap, especially Carlsberg and Strongbow (both British).  My roommates actually met a few Brits there, bringing us back to our semester abroad in London. You can dance and still speak to others without losing your voice completely.

10. The Draft Bar and Grille, 34 Harvard Avenue, in Allston
The Draft is another BU spot, especially during the warm weather when everyone arrives back to campus all beautiful and tan from the summer.  They also offer $1 drafts until midnight.  The Draft is small, but convenient to schmooze with your fellow classmates. 

*Photos courtesy of Virtual Tourist and EventBrite

Allison Milam is a sophomore at Boston University double majoring in Communications/Advertising and Sociology. After living in sunny Sarasota, Florida for her first eighteen years, Allison shipped up to Boston for a new climate and a new start. She spends most her time working with the Community Service Center, writing for the Buzz Magazine at Boston University, and participating on BU's National Student Advertising Competition's team. She has a passion for cooking, eating, and talking about food, and hopes to attend culinary school after she graduates from BU. Allison spent the summer of 2010 as the resident food writer for SRQ Magazine back home in Sarasota, and continues to do freelance. Whenever she can squeeze it in, Allison loves watching Weeds and Mad Men. Her goal is to attend as many concerts and meet as many famous people as possible while living in Boston! Allison loves living the city lifestyle and hopes to one day write for Bon Appetit magazine or work for a cutting-edge advertising agency!