This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Skincare – I was probably around 11 when this word first became important to me. Puberty hits and suddenly acne is the most prominent insecurity kids have. From what I remember, my acne was pretty bad at younger ages but then calmed down pretty quickly into high school. I was lucky and I know it. Some of my friends had acne throughout high school and could never get rid of it – to this day in college, it is still a huge insecurity many people have. However, I have tried all too many products and finally feel satisfied with how my skin looks. So, I’m here to give you my skincare routine that has worked for me (that doesn’t mean it will work for you, but it’s worth a shot)!

My typical skincare routine before bed is as follows:  

I use a charcoal-based face wash. I’ve always loved Biore’s Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser Don’t Be Dirty ($6), however, I have used Target’s brand of charcoal cleanser ($4) and found it works just as well as Biore. I also use Youth to the People’s Superfood Cleanser ($36) which is made purely from kale, green tea, alfalfa, and vitamins C, E, and K. I recently was gifted a Youth to the People skin care set for Christmas and have absolutely fallen in love with their products. This cleanser is great, but I find that it doesn’t clean deep into my pores, it more so just cleans the surface and rejuvenates my skin.

Photo Credit: gglaw.us 

I did not find the right cleanser for me overnight though – I constantly was trying new cleansers throughout high school, from the cheapest possible to expensive brands. It just so happened that charcoal doesn’t dry my skin out or make it feel rough afterward. This could be different for everyone, personally I know that tea tree oil is ALWAYS a no go for me because my skin is too sensitive for it, but my friends love any product with tea tree oil. It becomes a trial and error process to find a cleanser, but once you do it’s a total game changer.

After I clean my face I always moisturize! Since starting college, my skin has taken a 180 from being extremely oily in high school to barely retaining any water and always being dry. That’s when I got really into moisturizing every night before I went to bed and every morning before my makeup routine.

I use Youth to the People’s Superfood Air-Whip Moisture Cream ($48) at night before bed along with their Superfood Peptide Eye Cream ($35) and absolutely love the duo! My skin is instantly soothed and I feel the cream moisturizing my pores after a long day of stress, makeup, and sun. When I wake up I pat my face with cold water and use First Aid Beauty’s Ultra Repair Pure Mineral Sunscreen Moisturizer SPF 40 ($30). Personally, I hate sunburns, and my face burns VERY easily, so I switch my nightly moisturizer out for a protective one that my makeup can easily go over!

I also use a lot of face masks. I love face masks for many reasons. First off, they give me an excuse to do absolutely nothing but close my eyes and relax for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Secondly, I love the fresh feeling after I take a face mask off. I love Freeman’s masks, they have a HUGE variation of types of masks with many different ingredients. Almost any issue you want to attack has a mask made for it and their website is super helpful in finding the best fit for you! I always gravitate towards them because they are sold almost everywhere with skin care and they are very cheap (usually about $5). I also use an array of brands that I just pick up here and there just to try out different products. Be careful not to do too many at a time though! Most masks recommend doing them once or twice a week in order not to dry out your skin!

Photo Credit: instyle.com 

I want to end with a few small things I make sure to do that have helped clear my skin significantly. I always have a glass of water before bed and right when I wake up – I’m not sure about the actual science behind it, but it does a bunch of good things for your body including your skin. I always make sure that all my makeup is off before I fall asleep and I try not to touch my face too much which forces me to sit up straight in class and pay attention. Aside from face masks, you can also buy eye masks to help with under eye bags and puffiness. I use these less frequently than face masks, but when I do use them, I’m never unhappy with the results! A huge thing that I’ve noticed people skip in college is cleaning your pillowcase. Always throw your pillowcase in when you do laundry, it takes up no space!

I know I threw a lot at you in this article but skin care is super important to me and should be to you also! Clear skin can boost confidence but if your skin is clean it makes your whole day easier and falling asleep at night much more enjoyable!

Don’t forget that acne is a part of life and will continue to come and go based on your stress levels and everything else in your life. From exercising, to a big test coming up, to a lack of sleep, to even excitement, your skin will continue to change and acne will come and go.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Delanie is a senior at Boston University who loves Pavement's iced tea and the Charles River. She has a passion for writing and is on an adventure to find the best coffee shop in Boston. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.