Three Trends that Work in 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With each New Year, comes new trends in fashion. Last year, every store we entered was filled with lace, neon-colored trousers, crop tops and flared jeans. However, just because something is trendy, doesn’t mean it actually looks good. I’ve noticed a mix of both good and bad trends so far this year. Three of my favorites can work on anyone-they are sophisticated and can be worn with a casual day outfit or dressed up at night.

Pleated Skirt:
Although pleated skirts come in almost any color and length (mini, knee and long), you can’t go wrong with a black one. I love the black leather too because it’s slightly more dressy than your average black mini.
I’m definitely a fan of the way Kristin Cavallari is wearing the skirt, but it’s so simple to make this outfit work. Plus it’s not overly trendy, so you won’t wear it this season and then want to get rid of it come next year. Fashion experts say one essential item a woman must have is an LBD. But I say a black skirt should also be a must-have item. 

Black and White Lapel Blazer:
For those who don’t own blazers: Buy one or five of them because they should be a staple in any wardrobe! I own both black and white blazers in different styles because they are great “go to” pieces when you don’t know what outfit to wear.
The black trim on Katie Holmes’ blazer is stylish and slimming. She paired it with black trousers, which is great for a night out. But I also love it with a pair of destroyed boyfriend jeans and black patent flats. It’s always important to follow trends, but you also want to make sure it’s a good investment.

Emerald Green Dress:
We’ve seen this color a lot throughout the fall season, but it’s been popular on bib necklaces or chunky earrings. I never add too many colorful pieces to my wardrobe, but it’s always worth it to get a few pieces. Kate Middleton’s dress has three-quarter length sleeves (common for shirtdresses), which is great because it can be worn in any season.
For colder days, add a black blazer or black tights. Both heels and riding boots will compliment the look. And for the warmer months, add a pair of wedges and accessorize with a big beige necklace.

Ashley Rossi is a sophomore at Boston University studying Magazine Journalism and Mass Communication. After living in a small town for most of her childhood she looked towards the city for an exciting adventure. At BU Ashley has volunteered with the Community Service Center and written for various publications, including The Buzz and College Fashionista. Her goal is to eventually run the creative department for any major fashion magazine or international design house. Ashley also blogs daily on her blog, Gossip, Chanel, and English Tea on Tumblr. In the meantime she enjoys relaxing on the beach, watching Gossip Girl and Weeds, and reading the next Lauren Weisberger novel.