Thoughts on Starting College in the Midst Of A Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I started my freshman year at BU a few weeks ago, which is crazy enough as it is. Moving away from home is never easy. But this year, in particular, has brought on a whole new set of challenges and obstacles. 

On my move-in day, I had to stay six feet apart from all other newcomers and go to my scheduled COVID-19 test immediately after saying goodbye to my parents. Not exactly what I’d pictured. 

Courtesy of Hannah Lipow
For months I dreamed of walking to class on crisp autumn days, sitting in big lecture halls and small classrooms, and going to parties with new friends.

Instead, I attend all of my classes from my dorm room. Still, I like to think that the Harry Styles posters behind me add character to my little square video on my Zoom calls. Plus, I’m sure I’ll be grateful to not have to walk down Comm. Ave in the freezing temperatures this winter. Parties this semester are strictly forbidden, but maybe it’s easier to make friends in small groups anyway. And it has been fun doing activities outside and hanging out with my floormates. 

Sure, maybe it won’t be the exact fall semester I had in mind, but maybe it can be new and exciting and fun and magical nonetheless.

A comforting aspect of navigating this uncharted territory is the knowledge that I’m not in it alone. Millions of other students in the Class of 2024 are right there with me. We are a resilient bunch! Despite the face masks and social distancing, I know that we will figure it out together.

Hey, at least it’s been memorable!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.