Gone with the Wind
Gone with the Wind
Selznick International Pictures

These Rom-Coms Have the Absolute Best Quotes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

After a hectic week of midterms and research papers, I was excited to sit down and breathe this weekend. In the spirit of Valentine’s Day (a week late, but better late than never), I’ve been obsessively rewatching my favorite rom-coms and remembering just how awesome these movies are and why I’m so obsessed with them in the first place.

My favorite part about rom-coms is that they are typically easy to watch without much concentration, but they still have such variety: one second you’ll be crying of laughter and the next you’ll be ready to move to the middle of nowhere, open your own bakery, and find love. I’ve been writing down some of the best rom-com quotes—some hilariously sarcastic, some ridiculously absurd, and some hopelessly romantic—in the Notes app on my phone for forever, and here are some of my random favorites, ordered by premiere date.

Princess Bride (1987)

“Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.”

Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)

“I found out what the secret to life is: friends. Best friends.”

Clueless (1995)

“So like, right now for example. The Haitians need to come to America. But some people are all, ‘What about the strain on our resources?’ Well, it’s like when I had this garden party for my father’s birthday. I put R.S.V.P. ’cause it was a sit-down dinner. But some people came that like did not R.S.V.P. I was totally buggin’. I had to haul ass to the kitchen, redistribute the food, and squish in extra place settings. But by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier. And so if the government could just get to the kitchen and rearrange some things we could certainly party with the Haitians. And in conclusion may I please remind you it does not say R.S.V.P. on the Statue of Liberty!”

You’ve Got Mail (1998)

“The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don’t know what the hell they’re doing, or who on earth they are can – for only $2.95 – get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf.”

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

“You know, there’s a difference between like and love. I like my Skechers but I love my Prada backpack.” “But I love my Skechers.” “That’s because you don’t have a Prada backpack.”

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)

“What do you mean he don’t eat no meat? Oh, that’s okay. I make lamb.”

50 First Dates (2004)

“You erased me from your memory because you thought you were holding me back from having a full and happy life, but you made a mistake. Being with you is the only way I could have a full and happy life. You’re the girl of my dreams and apparently, I’m the man of yours.”

13 Going On 30 (2004)

“Who are these women? Does anyone know? I don’t recognize any of them. I want to see my best friend’s big sister, the girls from the soccer team, my next-door neighbor, real women who are smart and pretty and happy to be who they are. These are the women to look up to.”

27 Dresses (2008)

“You write the most beautiful things. Do you actually believe in love and marriage and just pretend to be a cynic or are you actually a cynic who knows how to spin romantic crap for girls like me?” “I didn’t follow that at all, but I think the second one.”

Crazy Stupid Love (2011)

“Cal, be better than the Gap. Be better than the Gap. Say it.”

Now, it’s time to pop some microwave popcorn, relax, and rewatch all of these hilariously adorable movies.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Originally from Nashville, TN, Grace is a senior at Boston University double majoring in media science and economics with minors in international relations and French. When she's not writing and editing for HCBU, she can be found curating Spotify playlists, taking hot girl walks to Brookline Booksmith, and perfecting her snickerdoodle recipe.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.