These 5 Movies Should Be Hailed as Classic Because Of Their Female Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Last week I wrote an article about five so-called classic movies that were actually very sexist. They sent very problematic messages that women have to change everything about themselves to get the guy and that they also cannot support other women! I did not want to end on that note, so this article is about five movies that actually send great messages and have amazing female characters!                  

Someone Great

Unlike most rom-coms, this movie is about how to get over a guy, not how to get one. Someone Great shows people that a female character does not have to be defined by her relationship or her love interest. By putting the break-up at the beginning, we get to see what happens after heartbreak (which we rarely do) and how strong and incredible the main character—Jenny—is. 

I also love how at the core of this movie is the friendship between the three women. The women pick each other up and tell each other straight-up how they feel. And while they do fight, their fights only help the characters grow and be better friends. I do not think I have ever seen a movie that captures female friendship so realistically and honestly as this one does.

Obvious Child

I stumbled across this movie on Netflix and I am so glad I did! This indie rom-com follows Donna (played by Jenny Slate) who has a one-night stand and ends up getting pregnant, then has an abortion. What I love about this movie is how light and comedic it is. While abortion is usually thought of as a controversial topic, the truth is that Donna’s situation is the reality for a lot of people. Her experience is simple, ordinary, and is even made comical by her witty remarks. Donna’s sarcastic personality and her relationships are what the film is about, not just the abortion. 

Hidden Figures

If you want to watch a movie about the power of women, look no further than Hidden Figures. Without Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan, and Mary Jackson, one of the most famous NASA operations would not have happened. Sadly, when I learned about NASA and the Space Race in school, I did not learn about the women that transformed it. While these women were exceptionally talented, they were not given the recognition they deserved. Hopefully by watching this movie and sharing their story they can receive a small part of the gratitude they deserve.

Erin Brockovich

I guess there is a Julia Roberts movie for every occasion! This one happens to be a true story about a woman who fought against the Pacific Gas and Electric Company because it was poisoning a local community. Unlike in Pretty Woman, Julia Robert’s character is in control and is fighting back against ‘the man.’ She goes from being a victim in a car accident to investigating a cover-up and suing a major energy corporation all in two hours and twelve minutes! 

Set It Up 

Set It Up is one of those feel-good rom-coms that you can keep watching over and over again. And it does not send sexist messages! While the movie is about two assistants having demanding bosses, this depiction is unique. The main female character, Harper, has a female boss whom she sees as an icon and someone she can learn from. Usually, in rom-coms, the female boss is described as cold and calculating and all of her employees hate her. In the end, Harper’s boss helps her with her writing and becomes a mentor to her. 

Another unusual thing in this movie compared to other rom-coms is that neither of the main characters have to change themselves to be with each other. They push each other to be better while also accepting each other’s quirks and weirdness. And they live happily ever after!

Well, there you have it! Five movies to watch if you want to feel amazed by women, or just feel good about yourself. Other movies take notes! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Peyton is a sophomore at Boston University majoring in journalism in the College of Communication and minoring in Women, Gender and Sexuality. Besides writing for Her Campus, Peyton also writes for the Daily Free Press and is a member of Students for Reproductive Freedom. In her free time, she tries to find the best places for dessert in Boston and reads along with Emma Watson's book club "Our Shared Shelf."
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.