The Ultimate Boston Christmas Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As the Christmas songs say, the holiday season is the best time of the year! And what’s a better way to spend the holidays than soaking up a bit of Boston before traveling for winter break?

There are so many fun and festive activities around the city that are sure to get you into the spirit of the season. If you’re looking for some recommendations, you’re in the right place!

Check out Snowport

Seaport’s annual “Snowport” event is back, so head down toward the South End for a ton of holiday activities!

Personally, Snowport is my favorite holiday market, with over 120 outdoor vendors, good food, drinks, decorations, and lots of local businesses to meet your gift shopping needs. There’s also a tree market, curling, a menorah lighting, a giant Christmas tree, and so many super cute photo-ops for your socials! 

GO See the Nutcracker

Now, if you’re looking for a more classy night out where you can dress up and enjoy all the glitz and glam of Boston’s performing arts scene, then the Boston Ballet’s production of The Nutcracker is perfect.

The Nutcracker will be showing for the entire month of December at Citizens Bank Opera House, which is a beautiful performance center right next to the Boston Common. Gather your friends or drag your significant other to a night of beautiful dancing!

Hit Up Harvard Square’s Holiday Fair

The Harvard Square Holiday Fair is one of the oldest and most popular fairs in the Boston area. The fair is open for two weekends this year: Dec.15-17 and Dec. 21-23.

This fair definitely has some stuff that’s on the quirkier side, as most of the vendors make the items themselves, but it’s a great way to support local businesses. Plus, there’s all kinds of things to shop for, including art, jewelry, pottery, and more!

Watch a Celtics Game

Though the tickets are pricey, a Celtics game is one of the most fun and iconic Boston experiences. The energy in TD Garden is unmatched, especially around the holidays.

This December, you’re especially in luck because there are a bunch of home games to attend. If you really want to go the extra mile, consider gifting your family or friends tickets as their presents too!

Catch a Christmas Movie Rerun

Finally, while Christmas movie reruns aren’t unique to Boston, watching them is still one of my favorite things to do during the holiday season.

Movie theaters all around Boston are showing just about every classic Holiday movie you can think of, and if you’re not feeling nostalgic, the new Wonka movie will be out this year as well.

You can catch me at AMC Boston Common 19 this winter because not only is it a super nice theater, but it’s also showing my all time favorite movie, The Holiday.

Now that you have this bucket list to guide you, get out there and get to enjoying everything that Boston’s Christmas season has to offer! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Lauren Jordanich is a sophomore at Boston University studying English. She is a biweekly contributing writer for Her Campus and most enjoys writing lifestyle pieces, specifically about both mental health and fashion. Lauren is a transfer student who has previously written for Gen-Z online publication, Trill Mag. She is also currently a contributor to editorial lifestyle magazine, The BU Buzz. Lauren's hobbies include shopping, reading sappy romance novels, going out with friends, and listening to true crime podcasts. As a Midwesterner, her favorite place in the world is Lake Michigan and she loves tailgating and fall football games.