This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Whether you’re a fan or not, it is undeniable that Taylor Swift is one of the biggest names of our time.

Throughout the last two decades, Swift has influenced the trajectory of the music industry by experimenting with new genres, breaking her own records, and captivating audiences through her storytelling.

Swift is a business woman. At the age of 33, she has built an empire aptly named “Swifties” and is an extremely successful musician. 

Her recent re-release, Speak Now (Taylor’s Version), debuted at No.1, making it her 12th album to receive a notable spot on the charts. The Eras Tour is projected to be the highest grossing tour of all time with a revenue of $1.4 billion by the end of next year. 

Her success is not just through her music career, but through her connection with her fans. 

Since the early stages of her career, Swift has always been intentional about her brand. She maintains personal privacy while still engaging with her followers on social media, where she reveals thoughtful glimpses of her life beyond her music. Through these interactions, she has established herself as a respectable figure to her fans.

Before releasing each of her albums, Swift traditionally drops “Easter eggs” to hint at upcoming projects. She is also known for inviting fans to exclusive pre-release listening sessions at her holiday house in Rhode Island.

Additionally, Swift has created a merchandise empire by selling collectables such as vinyls, home decorations, apparel and more. 

Not only has Swift established a fan base where fans can relate to her, she has nurtured a community where fans can support one another. By prioritizing authenticity, Swift has built a loyal fanbase that tirelessly supports her and her career. 

Though none of us fans are millionaires selling out stadiums on tour, Swift remains a relatable figure. 

Her story-like lyrics draw from personal human experiences and nostalgia, making her appear no different from any other person. Her talented writing captivates a wide range of audiences. Her constant reinvention is strategically crafted to keep fans on their toes and invested in guessing her next move.

As a Swiftie who has witnessed her Successful career for a decade, I can confidently say that Taylor Swift is the music industry.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Fran is a senior studying Public Relations at Boston University.