Girl In The Road Winter
Girl In The Road Winter
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

5 Perfect Activities For Winter In Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Since we’re almost in the winter season, it’s the perfect time to think about the plethora of activities that Boston offers, whether there’s snowfall or not.

On Boston University’s campus, there’s a limited number of activities. However, the Greater Boston area offers a variety of things to do, from charming neighborhoods with twinkling lights to exhilarating outdoor activities.

Ice Skating on the Boston Common Frog Pond

Kick off your winter adventures with a glide across the Frog Pond in the Boston Common. Nestled in the heart of the city with Newbury to the west, Chinatown to the south, Beacon Hill to the north, and the Boston Harbor to the east, this picturesque ice-skating rink is the perfect winter wonderland.

Whether you’re an expert or novice, the joy of twirling on the ice with an historic Boston backdrop is an experience not to be missed.

Shopping in Faneuil Hall

After braving the cold, warm up indoors with a shopping spree in Faneuil Hall Marketplace. There are a variety of shops to browse, from boutique retailers to well-known brands, and all are decked out with festive decorations.

After a successful shopping excursion, you can even cozy up in one of the nearby cafes to enjoy a warm cup of hot chocolate.

Walking Along the Charles River Esplanade

Bundle up again! Grab some gloves and a scarf to head out for a leisurely stroll along the iconic Charles River Esplanade.

Take in the crisp winter air, the breathtaking view of the river, and the city skyline. These Instagram-worthy snapshots capture the serene and invigorating atmosphere of the river we live right next to.

Drinking Hot Chocolate in Harvard Square

Head to the historic Harvard Square for a delightful culinary experience. Visit one of the renowned local cafes for their decadent hot chocolate.

Treat yourself to a mug of rich, velvety cocoa topped with some whipped cream and marshmallows. It’s the perfect time to indulge and savor the sweetness of winter.

Strolling in Snowport

As the sun sets and the city lights up, Seaport’s Snowport event offers a dazzling spectacle of light. The entire area comes alive with a winter-themed light show, creating a magical atmosphere and one-of-a-kind experience during an evening stroll or romantic night out.

If you’re new to the city, welcome! If you’re a returning student, resident, or tourist, try something new this winter. Whether you prefer indoor or outdoor activities, the city offers a range of experiences that will make your winter one to remember.

So, bundle up, gather your friends, and embark on a winter journey filled with joy, laughter, and happiness in the warmth of Boston’s charm. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Karen is a sophomore majoring in Business Administration at Boston University with a concentration in Marketing and Accounting and a minor in Hospitality. Besides HerCampus, some clubs she is involved in include the Chinese Student Association and Financial Modeling Club. On campus, you can catch her at Questrom Starbucks or working on the 16th floor of the Data Science building! Outside of school, Karen enjoys watching TV shows, particularly Kdramas or Cdramas, making jewelry, and exploring Boston restaurants with friends. Her top artists include Olivia Rodrigo, wave to earth, Wallows, and Zerobaseone. Another one of her hobbies include making and sharing playlists on Spotify! Karen's favorite restaurant is Mala Restaurant in Allston, which serves spicy Szechuan dishes but also has really good non-spicy green beans.