The Best Songs For When it Snows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If I were to list my favorite things in the world, it would be a pretty short list of two things, with number one being snow (and the close second being the person reading this article— you’re doing great and I love you). Ever since I was a little girl I adored winter time, mostly because of the stunning snowfall that came yearly. It was a sight to see— the snow calmly laying on the tree branches, snowflakes getting caught in your eyelashes, children playing in their front yards— the list is never-ending.

In college, I’ve been able to develop a stronger connection with the snow. Despite harsh winds and heavy snowfall, Boston University has not called a single snow day yet. While this is frustrating in and of itself, it’s allowed me to appreciate experiences like walking to class or the library with the backdrop of snowfall. During these walks, I love to listen to music. It’s not only to pass the time, but to bring out the beauty in my surroundings. As cliche as it sounds, it feels like I’m the main character in the movie walking to a soundtrack. 

Here are my favorite songs to listen to for these walks, or in all honesty, just to listen to on a snow day! 

“I’m with You” by Vance Joy

When I developed my hobby of standing in the snowfall, it was when Vance Joy released his album “Nation of Two.” This was one of my favorite songs to listen to on the album. With the soft, steady guitar finger-picking and tasteful production choices, it truly matches the feeling of standing in a windy snowfall.

“champagne problems” by Taylor Swift

This would be an incomplete list without Taylor Swift, of course. “champagne problems” is a ballad off of one of my favorite Taylor Swift albums, “Evermore,” and stood out to me due to its beautifully written lyrics and soft piano. It’s stripped of hard instrumentals, which brings attention to her emotive voice and shaky breath (which I believe adds to the emotion in this song). This album also came out during winter time, constantly reminding me of the winter snowfall. 

“Cherry Wine – Live” by Hozier 

“Cherry Wine” by Hozier is another song that is stripped to an acoustic guitar background. Not only that, but the sounds of birds chirping in the background are beautiful and heartwarming. Hozier himself has a very rich and deep voice, bringing a calming effect on the listener. This song reminds me of a warm fireplace as the snow falls outside— one of the most beautiful feelings in the world, in my opinion.

“Hannah Hunt” by Vampire Weekend

Personally, Vampire Weekend is one of my favorite artists to listen to in the winter. This makes “Hannah Hunt” a shoo-in for being one of my favorite snowfall songs. It is one of their slower songs with minimal instrumentals and softer vocals. It’s one of my favorites to walk to since it keeps a steady beat. 

“Bloom – Bonus Track” by The Paper Kites

I’m sure by now you’ve noticed that I have a bit of a pattern when it comes to my favorite snow songs, as this song is accompanied by a guitar that is unbelievably beautiful and comforting. A lot of its lyrics reference beautiful parts of nature, making it easy to watch the snowfall and relate to those feelings.

“Graceland Too” by Phoebe Bridgers

I’ve always seen “Graceland Too” by Phoebe Bridgers as a reassuring song. The lyric “said she knows she lived through it to get to this moment” has been a mantra for me. Especially during the winter time, when it can be very cloudy and gloomy, this song reminds me that spring is coming— not in a way that takes away from winter, but almost in a way that makes me appreciate the winter more.

“Clean” by Taylor Swift

This song is one of the most, dare I say, therapeutic songs I’ve ever heard. While its meaning is quite ambiguous, it is truly about the idea of being “clean,” whether that means getting over your ex or ridding yourself of past difficult moments. I’ve always felt as if the lyric “rain came pouring down when I was drowning, that’s when I could finally breathe” matched perfectly with the feeling of snowfall. I love listening to that lyric while feeling snowflakes land on my face and smiling as I remember what I’ve been cleansed of. 

These walks can be a bit of a trek during strong winds and snowfall, but with the right music, it is a walk I look forward to. You can listen to all these songs and similar songs on my playlist “with snow, at peace” by “ash duong!” on Spotify.

I hope you guys enjoy these songs, but even more so I hope you find your own specific walking-in-the-snow songs that make your experience even slightly better— especially if your school is stingy with snow days!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ash is a sophomore at Boston University, studying Public Relations at the College of Communication and minoring in Environmental Analysis and Policy. In her free time, she loves to curate Spotify playlists, watch New Girl, and be surrounded by nature!