Life > Experiences

The 5 Ways I’m Preparing For International Spring Break Travel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Here are five things I am doing to prepare for my trip so things can go as smoothly as possible when I arrive, despite the inevitable jet lag. 

Check the weather

I’ve only been to Paris in the summer when it was 104 degrees Fahrenheit, and I’m not exaggerating. Remember that weather app predictions, especially when they are far out, aren’t very reliable. However, they can give you an idea of what to expect and you can pack accordingly! 

For instance, it looks like Paris should be overcast and slightly rainy next week with highs of about 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Not ideal travel weather, but it’s better than freezing Boston! I also checked in with the cousins, whom I’m visiting, about what the weather has been like to see what they have been comfortable wearing recently.

Find your passport

Remembering your passport is a crucial step for international travel. If I get to the airport and realize I’m missing it, I’ll inevitably feel very stupid (please don’t let writing that jinx me). To avoid this tragic possibility, I made sure to bring my passport back to Boston after being home for winter break. This time around, when I am packing and leaving to go to the airport, I plan to put it on top of my phone so that I can’t lose track of it. These are the things you have to consider when you aren’t traveling with your whole family!

Currency exchange

Last week, I went to my local bank (I use Chase on campus) and made the transaction. They have to order my Euros, but because that only takes a day or two, it should arrive with plenty of time before I leave! The staff was super helpful and to my luck, there was no wait. I also looked up my credit card foreign transaction fees to ensure that if I need an alternative way to pay for things in Paris, I won’t break the bank.

Research cell roaming fees

The other finance-related chore on my to-do list was to look up what the roaming charges would cost for using my phone abroad. I use AT&T, which has an “International Day Pass” program where you pay $10 a day for international service. I’m sure other networks have separate policies, though, so make sure to look up your specific contract details so you aren’t faced with unexpected charges! This step is especially important because I don’t speak French, and being able to use my phone in Paris will be crucial to helping me get around the city and communicate. 

Make a bucket list
Emily from Emily in Paris
Darren Star Productions

Finally, I compiled a list of goals for my trip. I’ve already done some of the key touristy things like visiting the Catacombs and the Eiffel Tower, so my goal for this trip is to see some of the cool neighborhoods and vintage shops I didn’t have time for on my last visit! 

An honorable mention is that I also made sure to look up public transportation tickets because the Paris metro is much more complicated than the MBTA. Paris is also divided into zones that you need differently priced tickets to get to. These things are important to know beforehand so I can get where I am trying to go!

I’m super excited about my trip and am wishing everyone a Happy spring!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Rae Ruane is a biweekly writer for Her Campus Boston University. She enjoys writing about a broad range of topics but is especially partial to feminism and culture. Having grown up in a small beach town in California, she finds that there is a lot of interesting material to cover in a new city! Rae is a Film and Television major at BU’s College of Communication and is also minoring in Myth Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences. As a film major, she wants to study screenwriting and has won a few awards for her short screenplay work in the past from the Central Coast Film Society Student Film and Media Arts Competition and Urbanite Arts & Film Festival. Her writing has also appeared in various Morro Bay High School drama productions and the Morro Bay Spyglass newspaper. In her free time at BU, Rae enjoys going on walks along the esplanade and visiting museums. She listens to a lot of music and her favorite artists are Angèle and Vance Joy. Outside of Her Campus she is costume designer for "Public Domain" on BUTV10 and is a member of Students for Reproductive Freedom, BU Democrats, and History clubs.