Thanksgiving Tribute: From a Daughter to Her Father

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Dear Dad,

I’m writing this to you in the ten minutes I have between mandatory events of organizations I’m in, while stressing in the back of my head about my exam tomorrow, and simultaneously trying to come up with ideas for a new project I took on, even though I already have zero time for it. You probably could have guessed this anyway because most days it’s your reality too.  

I used to fight against it when you used to say we were similar. In the middle of heated arguments, when I thought I knew everything, I would swear internally that I was nothing like you. Even as we would mirror each other in our argument styles, I would refuse to see the similarities and insist I was different. 

In a way, I am. But in even more ways, I’m exactly like you. And I just want to take this space to truly thank you for all that you’ve given me.  

Photo Credit: Maya Fajardo

Among many things, we share an equal love of obleas, a Colombian treat, as pictured. 

Neither of us sleeps enough for most people to be functional. We can’t sit in one spot for more than 3 hours without getting agitated, and God help anyone who crosses our path if either of us hasn’t gotten the chance to work out in a week. We’re both equally stubborn, equally competitive, and neither of us likes to have to admit when we’re wrong.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve made mistakes. Most of them are ones you knew I would make, because you made them too. But instead of trying to deter me, you let me make my own mistakes and then are there to catch me if I fall. 

Photo Credit: Maya Fajardo

This photo is from one of our annual medical missions a couple years ago. One of the few we don’t look dead tired in. 

Thank you for always challenging me because you believe in me on days when I don’t believe in myself. Thank you for all the last-minute assignments I’ve begged you for help on, the pregame pump-up jams, and the postgame analyses. Thank you for helping me to always remember that the world we live in isn’t the only one out there, and that our blessings enable us to give back to others.

You’ve always been my biggest supporter, and also my biggest defender. Whether that’s bringing me back down to Earth when I’ve gotten too caught up in something, or instilling a healthy sense of fear in every boy I’ve brought home for you to meet; there’s no one I’d rather have on my team.  

Photo Credit: Maya Fajardo

A necessary addition to the article, showing that not only is he a great dad, but he also used to have a GREAT hairstyle. 

So, in honor of this past Thanksgiving, I wanted to take a moment to thank you for all that you’ve done, and all that you continue to do. You may look more like Manu Ginobili, but you’ve always been my Superman. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Maya is currently a junior in Sargent College at Boston University, studying Human Physiology.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.