Thanksgiving Has Always Been My Favorite Holiday, and 2020 is No Exception

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Other than my birthday, (which, who am I kidding, is not a holiday celebrated by millions of people) Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. For many, it’s dreadful to sit around a table with boring or annoying relatives they only see once a year to be asked questions which they don’t know the answers to either, whether it’s in regards to their employment or relationship status. In this respect, Thanksgiving is overlooked as the far more mediocre preceding holiday to Hanukkah or Christmas. In 2020, this Thanksgiving slander has only increased since, for many, it was spent without relatives or without the same large dinner table gatherings––only emphasizing how different this year has been. I admit I was lucky enough to spend Thanksgiving this year with my immediate family—just my brother and my parents. 

Thanksgiving Dinner
Photo by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels
But to give context, Thanksgiving is typically the one time of year I, like the rest of my extended family on my dad’s side, travel to Rhode Island to see each other. It is a family reunion of sorts, and it is spent with love and traditions formed over the years. Normally, everyone would be in my aunt’s small town of Jamestown, Rhode Island by the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and this would be a day for movie theaters, pizza nights, and taking the time to catch up. None of that awkward small talk, at least for us cousins; we would get right into it.

Thursday would start early in the beauteous town of Newport with (at least to me) a dreaded 5k Pie Run—which I would spend walking in the back and only running with the finish line in sight—and transcend into a day of “troll hunting” at the local forts, hiking through the wilderness surrounding Fort Wetherill, and sometimes finding a stray dog or two. At the dinner table, everyone would have name tags, including all the dogs, which us cousins would have the power to arrange and rearrange as we created the perfect Thanksgiving seating chart, making sure to change it up every year, of course.

Dinner would wrap up with a walk through Jamestown, playing games of ninja and singing in the streets. We would come back to the warmth of the indoors to find desserts waiting and a twenty-person game of Balderdash waiting for us. We would go to sleep with full stomachs and hearts, and wake the next day to hours of family foosball tournaments, endless games of Clue and Mao, homemade guacamole, and laughing so much our stomachs hurt. 

Thanksgiving, for me, has always been about love. So much love, our hearts pour out with its surplus. I look forward to it every day of the year because of all the fun traditions and crazy laughter waiting for me. So, of course, I was devastated that none of those festivities would be happening this year. It would be another long year or more without seeing that side of my family—of course, for good reason. It is necessary to protect each other in the midst of the pandemic. We all knew that, and yet, all the games and laughter would be missed.

people gathered around a table
Photo by Askar Abayev from Pexels
That is until one of my older cousins texted in the group chat that we should have a Zoom game night. While we Zoom and laugh together, we can play Among Us and Pictionary together. Not quite like old times, we knew that, but the best alternative we could think of and certainly better than nothing. So, on the Friday after Thanksgiving, we Zoomed and spent a good hour just catching up. While I was nervous that our relationships would be lost in translation over Zoom, I was instantly relieved; the love we felt for each other was so obviously felt. Though I was initially skeptical of Among Us, I soon welcomed each round with new bursts of confidence and excitement while also being aware in that moment of how thankful I was for everyone. When we ended our Zoom call after three hours, we promised to do it again soon and I know the euphoria and gratitude among all of us were mutual.

2020, if nothing else, has made me realize how thankful I am for what I do have in my life. Though we all spent what felt like too many days in our childhood bedrooms, I was grateful for that time with my immediate family, and on Thanksgiving, I was thankful for having a love for my extended family so strong that even the boundaries of Zoom could not disrupt. I am hopeful that next year we will be together again, in that small town of Jamestown, Rhode Island, hugging each other over a game of Balderdash and watching old family videos that now make me weep with nostalgia and love. Hope is a wonderful thing. 

For now, this—making the effort to stay connected in each other’s lives and playing virtual games—is enough. It is more than enough, and I am so grateful for all of it.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ava is a pre-law senior at Boston University studying English with a minor in history. She loves traveling, drinking excessive amounts of hot chocolate, creative writing, and skydiving. You can find her on instagram @avazing !