A Thank You Letter to Boston University As I End My Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Dear Boston University,

Well damn. Has it already been a year? That went way too quickly! It feels like just yesterday I was teary-eyed, watching my family leave to go back to the comforts of home while I was left in an unfamiliar city. It only took a short while for the “unfamiliar city” to turn to the “I-know-the-t-like-the-back-of-my-hand-city.”

You have some amazing views…what other college campus has shopping at one end, fields at the other, a river behind it, and brownstones all around? Just you BU. Bay State road? More like BAE state! Your uniqueness is your appeal. Countless hours of my weekends were spent exploring all the different study spots you had to offer. Hungry? Let’s talk about all the cafés that are walking distance from any dorm. My love for coffee breaks has only increased while I’ve been here.

My love for Boston terriers and the Red Sox have grown exponentially. It’s almost impossible to come here and not love Rhett walking around campus and the Fenway Park lights being visible. And we can’t forget our beloved Citgo sign, our North Star that guides everyone home, and MarMon. It is the little things that have made my love for BU develop and evolve. Like when you’re sitting on the “BU Beach” and close your eyes on a sunny day and the cars almost sound like waves or the group singing heard throughout Allston on a Friday night.

We’ve had our fights. There have been days that I hated you with every ounce of my being. Don’t worry, those days were fleeting, I can barely count them on one hand. We’ve shared our fair share of tears. Many, many tears. I think most of September was filled with tears? I missed my home, you can’t blame me. Of course, I thought about leaving you once or twice, but I am so glad I didn’t.

We have had so many fantastic memories! You’ve allowed me to explore a whole new city. You’ve helped me come out of my shell. You’ve introduced me to some of the best people I’ve ever met. You’ve taught me with amazingly experienced professors. You’ve shown me how to live spontaneously. You’ve become my home.

So, here I am packing up my small dorm room and simultaneously studying for finals, and I find myself reminiscing on all the stupid decisions we’ve made together and all the great memories we have created in a short few months.

I can’t help but be sad that our time together is so short…1/4 of our adventure is already done. Thank you for the great lessons that you taught me this year and I can’t wait to continue our story in August.

Sincerely,

A freshman as they move out

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Delanie is a senior at Boston University who loves Pavement's iced tea and the Charles River. She has a passion for writing and is on an adventure to find the best coffee shop in Boston. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.