Ten Snacks You Should Keep in Your Kitchenless Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

One side effect of living in a pandemic is spending a lot more time in your bedroom. My freshman year at BU, I was on the unlimited dining plan, so almost all of my meals came from the dining hall. Now, I’m on a plan where I go to the dining hall significantly less often, but I’m still living in a dorm room without a kitchen, and I eat a lot of my meals in here. Here are some snacks and food that you should keep in your kitchenless dorm room.

Ramen

A college staple: it’s the best option for a quick meal.

Microwave Mac and Cheese

Basically ramen’s sister: the choice you make when you’re sick of all the ramen you’ve been eating.

At Least Two Different Bags of Chips

I always get bored of the chips I’m eating if I only have one full-sized bag, so I make sure to keep at least two stocked at all times.

Cereal

The perfect quick breakfast before online classes to make sure you don’t skip the most important meal of the day.

Granola Bars

This is the easiest snack to eat during online classes, because it’s nutritious but also quiet, in case you have a professor who wants you to keep your mic unmuted.

A Jar of Peanut Butter

Dip oreos or pretzels in it, use it for sandwiches, or just eat it with a spoon.

Something Chocolate

Whether it’s a package of candy bars, a bag of chocolate covered pretzels, or some M&Ms, chocolate is a great reward for when you finish a big homework assignment.

Microwave Popcorn

This is by far the best snack to share with your roommates on movie night. It takes up barely any storage space, and it’s just better than popcorn that comes in a bag.

Ice Cream

For the same reason as chocolate: keep it in the freezer to reward yourself after a long day of hard work.

Tea and Instant Coffee

Instant coffee may not taste as good as a latte from Starbucks, but it’s an easy and significantly cheaper way to wake up in the morning when you won’t really be leaving your room until after classes end. Also, my roommate has a huge collection of tea, and a cup of something decaf is a great way to unwind at the end of the day.

Keeping your dorm room stocked with your favorite foods is honestly one of the best ways to make sure you remember to eat between online classes. Nothing’s better than being excited to eat your favorite foods, so keep the best and most convenient ones stocked in your dorm room all semester.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Gabrielle is a senior studying English at Boston University. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her listening to Taylor Swift, reading a romance novel, or exploring new places in Boston. You can follow her on insta @gabriellepeck15.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.