Tele-what?! All You Need To Know About BU’s Telefund

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Every semester, a mysterious and cryptic email pops up in your inbox. It promises competitive on-campus rates, bonuses, and a fun work environment. Telefund delivers.

Located on the seventh floor of SMG, Telefund is a division of BU’s Alumni Relation department. As an employee, time is spent calling prospect donors, either parents or alumni, and asking them to contribute to the Annual Fund.

What’s the Annual Fund you may ask? The Annual Fund supplements BU’s operating budget. Things like athletics, community service, and research are all partially funded through these donations. Without gifts like these, BU would be unable to offer many of the great extracurricular opportunities it offers.

Is it hard work? Absolutely. While some of your friends may have a job on-campus where they answer the occasional phone call and do their homework, Telefund puts you to work. Most shifts take place at night when prospects are more likely to answer the phone. The night is made up of pitching a donation, sharing success stories with alum, and listening to a good amount of voicemails.

The staff at Telefund does try to make the work environment as pleasant and fun as possible, though. Various games, snacks, and friendly competition are present at every shift.

So, if you’re looking for an on-campus job next semester that pays well and allows you to talk to interesting alumni, then Telefund is the place for you.  The first few calls are nerve-wracking, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes fun!

And if Telefund is not for you, then just remember that one day you will be BU alum and receive a phone call from a fellow Terrier. Be friendly, and help build a better BU. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.