This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As midterm studying came to a close and I slowly found myself with more free time again, I realized I needed a new show to watch. For weeks people had been telling me that I had to watch Ted Lasso, and seeing as I was looking for a feel-good comedy, it seemed like the perfect time to start. Once I began streaming the show on Apple TV+, I couldn’t stop! I watched both seasons in about a week. 

The show focuses on a middle-aged American football coach who travels to England to start coaching AFC Richmond, a Premier League football club. Having never coached soccer before, the titular character Ted Lasso must figure out how to bring together a struggling team for success. There are a lot of laughs, and, overall, the show just has a way of making you feel better. 

In my opinion, what makes it so special is that, although it’s a comedy, it doesn’t shy away from difficult topics. For example, the second season has a storyline that deals with mental health, specifically mental health in sports. While binging the show, I laughed, I almost cried, and I always found myself rooting for the characters. 

As someone who, like Ted at the beginning of the series, had never really watched Premier League football, there were some things that I had to learn. However, the show does a good job of explaining the rules because Ted learns them along the way, too. By the second season, I felt like I had a better idea of what was going on, and in the tense, make-or-break game moments, I was on the edge of my seat. I don’t think you need to like sports to enjoy Ted Lasso. Much of the story is actually focused on teamwork, friendship, and believing in yourself. 

The show is also amazingly well-written. The jokes are well-timed, and there are a lot of running jokes that continue through both seasons. The contrast between certain parts of British and American culture created funny scenes as well. After midterms, as the weather gets colder, I really appreciated being able to sit down and have a good laugh. 

If you are looking for your next show to binge-watch, I highly recommend Ted Lasso. It’s quick, witty, and heart-warming. And, once you’ve finished, you’ll be cheering for Richmond just like me!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Sarah is a freshman at Boston University studying Film and Television in the College of Communication. She is originally from just outside Baltimore, Maryland. She enjoys working on craft projects and watching TV, and she is so excited to be writing for Her Campus BU!