Tarboosh: Allston’s Most Underrated Food Spot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By Maria Ordoñez

/tärˈbo͞oSH/

noun

1. A man’s cap similar to a fez, typically of red felt with a tassel at the top.

2. The most underrated spot for Middle Eastern food in Allston.

Across the street from Super 88, hidden between Comm. Ave Associates and U-Mart, is Tarboosh, the Syrian Mediterranean grill I wish I had discovered sooner.

Credit: Osh K. on Yelp

I had seen it before, with its comedic logo, but it had never occurred to me to actually try it – until the day my Egyptian best friend woke up in the mood for some Mediterranean food and asked our friend group if we wanted to try it with her. We immediately agreed – anything to spare us from another day of dining hall food.

Tarboosh is a small place with a lot of character. When you first walk in, you’ll smile at the sight of the Arabic music videos playing, the plants hanging from the ceiling, and the handwritten menu. More importantly, though, you’ll smile at the great food they offer.

Manakish.

Credit: Mahmoud Elsayed on Yelp

I have 5 words to describe manakish: It’s like pizza, but better.

Manakish is a traditional Arabic dough, which is a fluffier, more addictive version of the pizza dough we all know and love. The most popular version is the za’atar manouche and it is topped with thyme, oregano, and other herbs. But, you can also find variations topped with cheese or beef.

And if you’re feeling really crazy, Tarboosh offers a dessert version topped with Nutella! You better believe that’s at the top of my to-do list next time I go to Tarboosh.

Chicken Shawarma Roll-Up.

Credit: Mahmoud Elsayed on Yelp

For those who have never tried shawarma before, it’s basically a special type of meat preparation that involves thinly slicing meat from a vertical rotisserie. The meat can be anything from beef to chicken to turkey, and it can be eaten as part of a rice platter or in a roll-up.

I ordered the roll-up, and it did not disappoint. The roll-up is kind of like a wrap filled with the chicken shawarma, pickles, and a little bit of garlic sauce. Tarboosh serves it with a side of fries, more pickles and garlic sauce, and some lettuce and tomatoes.They also cut it up into mini rolls, which are perfect for sharing. Or not… I won’t judge.

Beef Pepperoni.

Credit: Mahmoud Elsayed on Yelp

I know what you must be thinking: Why is this so exciting? It looks just like regular pepperoni.

Well, you’re not wrong. It also tastes just like regular pepperoni, but it’s not. It’s BEEF, not pork. And the reason why that’s so exciting is that it means that my Egyptian best friend – the one who took me to Tarboosh in the first place – can actually eat it!

In countries like Egypt, the majority of the population is Muslim and, because of their religion, they abstain from eating pork. This means that in those countries, the products that Americans usually make with pork (i.e. hotdogs and pepperoni) are made with beef instead. So, for those living in America for college, like my friend, it can be disappointing not to be able to eat these foods.

As a matter of fact, when I asked my friend how she felt about finding beef pepperoni, she said:

“I was SO excited because sometimes when I’m in the dining hall I see pepperoni and it looks so good and I’m like ‘I WANT IT,’ but I can’t have it!”

So, next time you find yourself in Allston and none of your friends want to pick a place to eat, take them to Tarboosh. It’s open Monday through Friday from 12 p.m. to 2 a.m., and you can find it at 2 Brighton Ave.

Check out their menu before heading out, or you can order for delivery!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.