This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Paraben-Free moisturizer? Sulfate-free shampoo? Why leave out the paraben and sulfate?

The European Union has banned over 1,400 chemicals in their personal skincare and beauty products while the United States has banned only 11 chemicals in personal care and beauty products. Many traditional makeup and skincare products contain known carcinogens and endocrine disruptors. Gross!

Fortunately, many passionate, innovate and talented entrepreneurs have taken these facts to heart and are working to establish effective and natural (and sometimes affordable) skincare and makeup options.

For the beauty crazed:

Bite Beauty – a lipstick company based in Toronto that crafts its products small batches with 100% natural, organic and vegan ingredients. The average person ends up ingesting most of the lipstick they use, so a natural option will ensure no excess chemicals are ingested.

What to buy? Lipstick (insert heart emoji) because of the amazing pigmentation and wearability. The lipsticks do veer on the more expensive side.

RMS Beauty – another tried and true alternative to regular makeup options. Rose-Marie Swift, the founder of RMS beauty, spent 35 years working as a makeup artist in Los Angeles. It was later revealed in a blood test that she had high levels of toxins in her body, so she was inspired to start RMS beauty a company with high-quality standards for their makeup.

What to buy?  Highlighters, they are creamy, natural and bright.

Beautycounter – a company that sells effective natural makeup, skincare and hair care products. The company has high regulations on everything that they sell; they have banned over 1,500 chemicals from their products.

What to buy? Charcoal Cleansing Bar, Charcoal Face Mask, Face Oil and Lip Sheers

For the skincare obsessed:

Cocokind Skincare – a company that sells affordable, effective and natural skincare products.

What to buy? Toners, face oils, masks everything is high quality and effective.

So, if you’re looking to switch up your beauty arsenal, look no further than some of the more natural options on the market.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.