Summer Attractions in NYC for Interns or Visitors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When applying for internships, one of the most important criteria, for me at least, is location, location, location. New York City is a hotspot for culture, excitement, and of course job opportunities. But when you’re not working vigorously for that fantastic internship you managed to get, what do you do with your spare time? Most people know of the tourist attractions of big-name cities, but that gets boring. I found the offbeat activities that can occupy your time at your next internship location.

We all know the famous landmarks: Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Central Park, but I found some new adventures that await for summer-time fun in NYC.

1. Trapeze: How about learning to fly on a trapeze in the middle of the city? This can be come at the Trapeze School of New York at Chelsea Piers. Spend your day feeling more alive while soaring through the air. Let off some steam from the workweek and let the adrenaline pound. Find out more information and sign up for classes at http://newyork.trapezeschool.com/index.php.

2. Roosevelt Island Tram: Located in Manhattan on 61st Street and 2nd Ave, this clear, glass tram is a great way to see a beautiful view of Manhattan for just a train fare. You can use your Metro Card to take the tram from Manhattan to Roosevelt Island and back for a short, interesting experience. The tram is located close to Serendipity. So if the wait is long, as it often can be, you can head on to the tram for some entertainment.

3. Kayaking: Kayaking in Manhattan? Yes it is possible, on the Hudson River! Right next to the trapeze school at Chelsea Piers you can explore the Hudson for free! It is first come, first serve and a great way to spend an afternoon in the sun. For more information check out http://www.downtownboathouse.org.

4. Staten Island Ferry: This everyday commuter’s nightmare is actually the biggest free attraction in NY. The ferry takes people from Staten Island to lower Manhattan for free. Visitors who haven’t been to NY or are really interested in sight seeing can take this 20-minute ride and see the Statue of Liberty and the beautiful Manhattan skyline.

5. Top of the Rock: Want a view of Manhattan that you will never forget? Go to Rockefeller Center and take the exhilarating elevator ride up to the observation deck where you will be in awe. In the day or at night it’s the perfect place to unwind and just experience NYC for all its beauty. There are three floors, indoor and out, to capture the stunning views. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.