Summarizing Movies and Shows Badly: My Favorite Dinner Time Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

From Saturday morning to Sunday, I did not leave my room. The idea of interacting with anyone was unbearable. I am not just referring to “elevator small talk” — my desperate refusal to socialize extended to sharing the same street with another human being. Instead, I ate two boxes of cereal, wrote an essay that I’d been dreading, and relished in closing my door. I don’t think every day has to be “special.” The outside world is exhausting and sometimes, there is nothing better than watching Netflix, and that’s exactly what I did.

I’d write a post about my favorite Netflix shows but I know that people instinctively type “N” when they open a browser and find new series on their own. Instead, I want to talk about my favorite game to play with my friends and family at the dinner table: “Summarizing Movies and Shows Badly.” Because of my week of midterms and no free time, I want to show you how it’s done. The rules are that you are given a movie/TV prompt and have about 5 seconds to start saying the first bad summary that comes to mind. (Credits to my roommate for the prompts.)

“Big Little Lies”

Damn, Meryl Streep is a b*tch now, so Reese Witherspoon throws ice cream at her.

“The Notebook” 

Wait…where’s the notebook in this movie?

“Psycho”

Mommy’s boy doesn’t get out much.

“Deadpool”

Sarcastic hot guy is hired to play sarcastic ugly guy.

“Charlotte’s Web”

Don’t play with your food.

“One Tree Hill” 

Everyone in a small town gets hit by a car somehow.

“The Great Gatsby”

“U up?” text, circa 1920.

“The Wolf of Wall Street”

Jonah Hill eats a goldfish as part of a new diet.

“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”

Oh, okay. This is about the Manson Murders.

“Avatar”

Blue people need to get a room…

In conclusion, I was lazy this weekend, midterms are exhausting, watching Netflix is great, and “Summarizing Movies and Shows Badly” is a fun dinnertime game/break from reality. Hopefully your answers are better than mine.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.