Style Steal: Lara Jean is a Fashion Icon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Setting aside the fact that Lana Condor is completely gorgeous all on her own, she looked absolutely stunning as Lara Jean Covey — the main character of the Netflix hit To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. Costume designer of To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, Rafaella Rabinovich, took inspiration from ‘90s era Vogue and K-pop when designing outfits for Lara Jean. Many of the pieces for the movie were bought from stores like Forever 21, H&M, Urban Outfitters, ASOS, and various thrift stores, which makes them super accessible for anyone to buy. Below is a list of some of the most iconic outfits from the movie and where to find the pieces in stores.        

1. The Overalls Look     

You can achieve one of Lara Jean’s iconic look with just a simple pair of black overalls paired with a retro striped tee and dad sneakers! 

Black overalls from ASOS

Did someone say ‘90s fashion? The ‘90s overalls trend is making a strong comeback! This simple pair of black overalls will be a staple of your closet as it can be paired with so much! Try a nice sweater for fall and winter or a simple tee for spring and summer! ​

Striped t-shirt from Urban Outfitters         

This striped tee is a perfect addition to your closet. Stripes are so in right now and the mix of reds and oranges work so well for fall! 

Dad Sneakers from Nike

The dad trend is being rocked by so many celebs at the moment! These shoes are not only comfortable but so stylish as well. The bright colors can bring a pop of color to any outfit.

Pink Socks from Topshop

Say good bye to your basic white socks and trade them in for these stylish pink ones. These pink socks will tie any outfit together. A simple way to revamp any outfit

​

2. The Airport look

When saying goodbye to her sister as she left for college, Lara Jean rocked a ‘70s influenced look that mixes comfort with style.

Striped Turtleneck from Forever 21

Did someone say fall? Turtlenecks are a great addition to any fall outfit, and the perfect way to add layers overall. Try a denim jacket or cute bomber jacket with it!

Denim Skirt from Forever 21

A perfect basic to keep in your closet, the button up detail is reminiscent of the ‘70s. It’s a piece that works well for any season.

Black Circle Rimmed Glasses from ASOS

Anyone on the hunt for the perfect pair of sunnies look no further! Circle rimmed glasses were the spring-summer staple! With the simple black color, they’re a perfect way to accessorize any outfit

3.  First Day of School Look

Lara Jean’s back to school outfit is a perfect fall look inspired by key ‘90s trends: knee high socks, flannel, and combat boots.

Grey T-shirt from Forever 21

A great basic every girl should have in her closet!

Tie-front Dark Green Top from Forever 21

What is a fall outfit without a cute flannel? This shirt can be styled in so many ways. Try layering it over a comfy tee or on its own by tying it in the front. 

High waisted Khaki Shorts from Amazon

Honestly when I think of khaki’s I can’t help but think of Jake from State Farm… but these shorts are way cuter than a simple pair of khaki slacks. The buttons along the sides are such a beautiful detail!

Knee-high Maroon Socks from Bombas

Looking for a way to keep your feet warm but still look cute? Try these comfy socks from Bombas! They would look great paired with a cute pair of booties and a dress or skirt. Perfect for a fall accessory. 

Combat Boots from DSW

Combat boots were all over the runaways this year! Make sure to get your pair for this season. The heel not only provides height, but is also a nice change from a basic combat boot.

4. The Party Look

As Lara Jean showed all of us, a simple yet stylish party look takes basics to the next level.

Black dress with White Peter Pan Collar from Forever 21

Wednesday Addams who? Every girl needs a little black dress in this closet. The peter pan collar is the perfect accessory to revamp the simple black dress.

Light Blue Bomber Jacket from Calvin Klein

*This is just a plain bomber jacket, but with simple iron-on patches you can get closer to the floral printed jacket from the movie!

This is such a versatile piece of clothing! It works for any outfit, you can either dress it up or just wear it casually. 

White Lace Trimmed Socks from Topshop

The white frilly lace is a cute addition to the basic white sock. If you’re looking for a simple accessory for any outfit, try these socks from Topshop! 

Tricolor Platform Oxfords from Steve Madden 

If you’re a girl who loves to rock sneakers but wants to try a dressier option, these shoes are perfect! These are no ordinary oxfords with the addition of a simple platform. They are super stylish yet still comfy.

Mustard Yellow Crossbody Bag from Old Navy

Mustard yellow is the color of 2018! Hop on the trend with this simple and stylish crossbody bag. Perfect for carrying all of your necessities!

5. Comfy Lounge Look

For the times that you still want to look cute but be comfortable, try to snag this outfit!

Blush Pink Tee from Urban Outfitters

This shirt is simple, fun, and feminine; and the perfect addition to your closet!

Velvet Maroon Skirt from Anthropologie 

This is a great piece to add to any fall outfit! The maroon velvet is such a beautiful material. It is such a versatile piece of clothing that can either be dressed up with a nice blouse and heels or dressed down with a simple tee and sandals. 

Black Choker from Icing 

One trend that has made its comeback from the ‘90s is the choker. This simple black necklace is a great accessory to add to any outfit. The small pearl is adds a nice touch that takes this necklace from basic to gorgeous!

To all the outfits I love before. I might as well write a love letter to Raffaella Rabinovich for creating such iconic looks! Now you too can look as amazing as Lara Jean Covey. (And maybe get yourself a Peter Kavinsky, too?) 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

MyChalia is a freshman majoring in English Education in the Wheelock College of Education and Human Development at Boston University. She has a passion for education and social justice, as well as creating a loving and accepting community for all regardless of race, gender, sexual identity, etc. MyChalia also has a passion for reading and creative writing. She can be found lost in the isles of a Barnes n' Noble or chilling in a random Boston cafe drinking iced coffee.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.