Stages of a Night Out, As Told by a Wing Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

1. You show up to your BFF’s place a safe 15 minutes late only to find out she’s running an hour behind schedule. 

2. You start pouring a drink and turn up the music, kicking yourself for running out the door before you applied that extra swipe of mascara. 

3. You head back to your BFF’s room and tell her the sleeveless white top she’s wearing looks amazing on her. 

4. Then you roll your eyes as she pulls off the shirt and tells you to cut the bullsh*t. 

5. You watch as she puts on the gold top and nod in approval. 

6. And the green shirt, and the patterned gray one, and the sparkly black one. 

7. You finally say the original white top could not be more amazingly perfect with a cherry on top. 

8. Then you’re able to finally leave to go to the bars, dragging her to move faster in her mile high pumps. You do save her from face planting a few times, though. 

9. You wait in line at the bar and all the while she’s flirting with the cute guy standing in front of you. You make casual small talk with his not-so-attractive buddy. 

10. You show your IDs to the bouncer and finally you’re in! 

11. First stop: drinks! You flail trying to get the bartender’s attention but as soon as your bestie looks at him, he hurries over. 

12. You let her lead as she mingles around the bar saying hi and gushing over every acquaintance she’s met since freshman year. She flirts with a few guys and gets a few numbers. You wonder how she’s such a guy magnet. 

13. Then you both hit the dance floor. 

14. You have to push her away from the creepers staring at her and give them your best death glare. 

15. Then she spots the ex and he’s flirting with another girl. You run her to the corner and convince her he’s not worth it— tell her to just imagine him in 30 years and she’ll feel better. 

16. Now, more drinks. Toast to the bartender! 

17. Then more dancing (Actually flat-out flailing as you sing along to J. Beibs)!

18. You close the bar down and you stumble back to her place. 

19. Then you tuck her in and put a trashcan next to her bed just in case before getting your Uber home. 

20. You call your BFF to tell her goodnight and make plans to do the same thing next week. Except this time, she’s your wing woman.

An advertising student at Boston University, Allison Penn has been writing for HCBU since fall 2013. Her favorite beat is tips for internships and professionalism, but enjoys musing about pop culture too. She loves the weekly #Adweekchat, children's books, the colors olive and eggplant, Friends, magazines and dark chocolate. Secretly, she still wishes she could be a ballerina when she grows up. Follow on Twitter: @AllisonRebeccaP
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.