Spring Break Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As survivors of the “Snowpocalypse of 2015” (assuming, or rather praying, that we have seen the end of it), I think I speak for all of us when I say I can’t wait to be on the first flight out of here for Spring Break. Needless to say the endless onslaught of blizzards and snowstorms has worn me down and I am officially ready to spend a week somewhere where the air doesn’t hurt my face.  Currently, the only thing helping me deal with these arctic temperatures is thoughts of sipping Mai Tai’s and Piña Coladas on the beach somewhere where I can actually feel the sun and not just stare at it accusingly, wondering why it’s not doing its job. In between studying for midterms and trudging through mounds of snow to get to class, add these items to your spring break checklist to make sure you have everything you need for a killer fun-in-the-sun vacation.

1. Sexy SwimwearGone are the days where the bikini was the go-to look for the beach. The market is now filled with swimsuits for any and every body type and style, so not being “beach-body ready” (whatever that means) is no longer an excuse for staying clothed on the sand. From retro-chic high-waisted bikinis to hot monokinis, there is a little something for everyone and you don’t need to spend a fortune either. Fast fashion retailers like H&M and Forever 21 have a ton of super chic swimsuits at extremely affordable prices. You can also cop beach bags, sandals and other warm-weather necessities there as well to round out your spring break wardrobe. 
  2. Diva HatFor the fashion-conscious, a beach trip is the perfect chance to bring out that oversized, floppy hat that has been hiding in your closet all winter. It will keep the sun out of your eyes and all eyes on you at the same time as this is the kind of hat that will make you the center of attention while sipping daiquiris by the pool. If large and floppy isn’t quite your style (although as far as I’m concerned, it’s everyone’s style) then opt for a chic, straw fedora which isn’t quite a diva hat but perhaps a cooler, less dramatic cousin. Either way you will be serving poolside glamour. 
  3. Sassy SunglassesNothing says “islandista” like the diva-hat-sassy-sunglasses combo so make sure you don’t get one without the other! Like the diva hat, they are both functional and fashionable, and once you pair it with a maxi dress and an oversized beach tote you will look like the beach goddess you are and I have no doubt the locals will notice (if you know what I mean). Whether you want to grab your Ray-Ban aviators or play it safe with a cheap $5 pair, sunglasses are an easy way of adding an air of mystery to your look with minimal effort. 
  4. Sunscreen + Skin BronzerIf the winter has you looking more Snow White than Bronzed Beauty then skip the tanning salon (health and safety first, always!) and purchase a skin bronzer that will fool people into thinking you go to school in Miami and not that tundra formerly known as Boston. The market is full of great products and I highly recommend them for all skin tones to give you that sun-kissed glow until you actually get it from the sun. That said, don’t skimp on the sunscreen! Sunburn is no joke and living on an island I have seen many a tourist’s dream vacay spoiled by an angry red burn. We want to look tan and yummy, not burnt and blotchy, ladies!
  1. BFFsOf course no trip would ever be complete without your mains! A trip with your sweetie is always an option of course, but I think no collegiette should graduate without having at least one crazy spring break with her girls. Now I’m definitely not advocating anyone doing anything they will ultimately regret and/or prevent them from obtaining future employment whilst on vacation (because this tuition is not cheap, after all). But there is just something special about having an experience like this before you graduate because who knows when the opportunity will next present itself? It is a bonding experience that will, hopefully, strengthen your friendship and be a great “Hey, remember that time we….” story for years to come.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.