This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Makeup is expensive! A Groupon study showed that the average woman spends up to $4,000 a year on makeup. I know, crazy right? This article is here to help! Choose where to spend and save on your next Sephora trip by reading the following tips.

Foundation: Splurge

Your skin is the first part of your face that is going to show any irritation if a product isn’t right for you. That’s why it’s really important to make sure that you only put high-quality face products on your skin whether that be foundation or skincare. Trust me, your skin (and your older self) will thank you later for shelling out a few extra coins. 

Try: Nars Sheer Glow – $47 @ Sephora

Concealer: Save

Although many makeup brands would beg to differ, many concealers on the market are very similar. You want a creamy, non-creasing, buildable, and medium-to-full-coverage concealer (bye-bye acne and dark circles!). No doubt there is a higher percentage of luxury concealers that will meet these criteria however, there are a select few drugstore choices that will do the same for less! 

Try: e.l.f Camo Concealer – $6 @ Ulta Beauty

Bronzer & Blush: Save 

Bronzer and blush are all about color pay-off. If there isn’t any pigment… is it even worth it? Luckily, a lot of drugstore brands have amazing blush and bronzer formulas. Just choose a color you like and save the extra money for something else! No need to dish out more than $15 to have rosy and sun-kissed cheeks.

Try: Milani Baked Blush & Physician’s Formula Butter Bronzer – $6.99/8.50 @ Target

Highlighter: Splurge

Want that golden glow? Then you might have to spend a little bit more money than you thought. Drugstore highlighters can often be powdery or chunky, resulting in an overly-glittery or cakey effect. Also, if the highlighter isn’t a great formula it can really accentuate any skin texture that you might have. Spend an extra buck so you can achieve that glow up! (Literally.)

Try: BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector – $38 @ Nordstrom

*Tip: Buy the mini size to save money!

Eyeshadow: Splurge

Formula and pigmentation are everything when it comes to eyeshadow. If a shadow is too chalky or grainy it can result in a patchy application with no color pay-off. Subculture scandal, anyone? Creamy, buildable, pigmented shadows are desirable and usually, that means paying more money for them. High-end brands can usually afford better ingredients/pigments and manufacturing which often results in a better pressed and produced shadow (unless you’re Morphe or Colourpop). Get creative, but make sure you have the best tools first!

Try: Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Palette – $42 @ Sephora

Eyebrow Products: Splurge

Eyebrows are essential to any makeup look and yes, of course, I know that brands like e.l.f make great eyebrow pencils and such but,… hear me out. Drugstore eyebrow products often don’t have the best color pay off and usually don’t have the greatest color selection. If you have a hair color that isn’t blonde or brown, you might have a hard time finding a product that suits you. High-end brow products offer a greater range and longer lasting power so you can look good, and look good all day!

Try: Benefit Ka-BROW! Eyebrow Pomade (8 shades) – $24 @ Ulta Beauty

Eyeliner: Save 

Eyeliner has essentially one job; don’t move. Any eyeliner (especially liquid) shouldn’t smudge, flake, or fade. While Kat Von D’s lock-it liner is a beloved fav, there are so many cheaper options that work just as well! When in doubt… wing it out!

Try: Essence Liquid Eyeliner – $2.99 @ Ulta Beauty 

Lipstick: Save

This category is a little bit tricky. Lipstick formulas vary by brand and can either be fantastic or horrible. Generally, a good standard lipstick should be opaque and relatively moisturizing. Matte liquid or stick lipsticks should be opaque, not streaky, and not overly drying. Nobody wants their lips to feel like a desert. While some luxury brands offer amazing formulas that do all of the above, there are less expensive brands that offer the same.

Try: Colourpop Ultra Satin/Matte/Metallic & Lux Lipsticks – $6.50/7 @ Colourpop.com

Still want to save MORE? I hear you. If you find a product that you really like but still can’t give up the cash… try going to a discount store like Nordstrom Rack or TJ. Maxx. Often times when a luxury brand changes their packaging, they will discontinue the old products and sell them for a much lower price. Nordstrom Rack consistently has M.A.C. and Urban Decay! 

Hopefully, these tips helped and gave you a way to budget/approach your next makeup shopping spree!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.