This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I don’t know my blood type. My mom’s Type A and my dad is Type O, so my extremely limited knowledge of genetics (I was never great at Punnett squares) tells me that I’m one of those types. My mom insists that my blood type is A though, because of my personality.

Photo credit

We’re obsessed with personality types and tests — I buy into MBTI, Enneagram, alignment tests, blood types… I even check my horoscope regularly and own one or two books about astrology. One of my favorite determinants of personality, though lesser known, is blood type. Like zodiac signs, it’s regarded as a pseudoscience, but it remains popular in Asian countries, especially Japan and South Korea.

Here are the personalities and descriptions associated with each type.

Type A

Those with blood type A are known as organized, effective leaders. They are planners, always opting to make careful decisions and carry out meticulous actions. They are obedient, caring, honest, polite, emotional, self-sacrificing, loyal, and introverted.

On the flip side, they can be stubborn, hypersensitive, pessimistic, perfectionistic, and likely to withdraw and become isolated when they disagree with people/ideas.

They are also likely to deal with problems such as anxiety and OCD-like tendencies, due to how prone they are to stress.

Type B

Those with blood type B are creative, driven, thoughtful, empathetic, reliable, adventurous, passionate, flexible, and active.

Negative traits they are prone to are being reckless, selfish, unforgiving, uncooperative, irresponsible, and unpredictable.

Though they’re active social butterflies, Type B people are also known to be moody and emotionally unstable.

Type AB

Those with blood type AB are known as the most well-balanced of all the types. They are outgoing, diplomatic, easy-going, creative, calm, popular, and charming.

They are also experts in interacting with others and have exceptional logical and analytical skills.

In terms of negative characteristics, they can be moody, brooding, and appear two-faced, in addition to being notoriously terrible at coping with stress.

Type O

Those with blood type O are outgoing, daring, resilient go-getters. They are generous and kind-hearted leaders, known for being flexible and able to adapt well to change.

Their weaknesses include being stubborn, self-centered, and prone to bragging and disliking/disobeying authority. It’s important to maintain their anger, as they are prone to acting out and possessing a short temper.

If you’re still a bit confused, here is a summary of the personalities and descriptions associated with each type.

Photo credit

So, what’s your type? Does this blood type personality theory apply to you?

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Carina is a senior studying Economics + Psychology at Boston University. She is passionate about marketing, Sally Rooney, and caramel lattes.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.